1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bereavement

Discussion in 'Personal' started by curlcurlcurl, Apr 30, 2018.

1. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

I’ve unfortunately had a bereveament in the family as my aunt passed away suddenly. I have been given one day for the funeral and one day unpaid, the funeral is to take place in another country. Is this an acceptable response from them?

The school has no bereavement policy published in the handbook. I feel a little put out as the above time doesn’t even allow you to begin to grieve for the loss of a relative.

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

So sorry for your loss. Most policies only cover immediate family so yes it is acceptable.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A separate bereavement policy is rare.

You will probably find a section on compassionate leave included within another appropriate policy or the general conditions of service. I agree, though that it would usually only cover leave for the death of an immediate family member.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

My condolences on your loss.
    I was given one day off for my Mother-in-law's service. The excuse was that I was part-time so I could do the necessary organising on my days off...

5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

IT is the standard norm. Although you can request unpaid leave in addition.

6. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Thanks for the replies all. So sad that we have to categorise one loss as having more need for compassion than another, my aunt was unmarried, without children and lived with for many years so in this respect she was very immediate family in our view. But unfortunately not by the categorisation of the powers that be. Thanks for the well wishes.