1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bereavement

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blueapple, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Let me start again. I accidentally sent half a post... I need advice. My much loved mother died on Sunday evening. I am in shock. A week before her death I nagged her for not eating enough. The following week she died after a rapid decline, brought on by her lung cancer. We, my brothers and I, thought that she still had months.Now mum and dad are gone there is such a void. I cannot face work ... Marking, modules, noise, stroppy teenagers. How have others coped? I just about managed to with dad, but I feel that this is going to be worse. I am phobic about going back to a job which is so loaded with stress, while I am so grief stricken.

2. Let me start again. I accidentally sent half a post... I need advice. My much loved mother died on Sunday evening. I am in shock. A week before her death I nagged her for not eating enough. The following week she died after a rapid decline, brought on by her lung cancer. We, my brothers and I, thought that she still had months.Now mum and dad are gone there is such a void. I cannot face work ... Marking, modules, noise, stroppy teenagers. How have others coped? I just about managed to with dad, but I feel that this is going to be worse. I am phobic about going back to a job which is so loaded with stress, while I am so grief stricken.

3. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

Do you need to go the Doctors and get signed off? If you feel that you are not able to cope then that might be what you need to do.
    This time of year will certainly not be helping when everything is aimed towards family being together.
    I am sorry for your loss.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

kibosh beat me to the thread.
    <h3>Bereavement</h3>When you feel like it, do have a read-lots of posters who understand what you're going through.
    Suddenly losing the last parent and moving to being the 'senior generation' in the family takes some adjustment and it's still early days for you yet, especially as although presumably with your Mum's vcancer you knew it was 'on the cards' but the rapidity of it has hit you hard.
    There are various 'stages' of bereavement and not all take everyone the same length of time to get through. The earlist is shock and it seems, that's where you are now. I remember, when my dad died unexpectedly, feeling as though I was living in a bubble, completely separate from everyone's else's reality, where they were getting on with things as norma and I felt numb.
    Just get through the next few weeks as best you can. For some people work and something to think about helps and for others not! Feel free to post on that thread, I know they're a caring bunch of people.

6. Thank you so much - I just needed pointing in the right direction. I am now going to the established thread !

7. do think about getting yourself signed off - if you don't have to go in to school it will help you decide whether or not you want to go in