1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bereaved parent sensitive meeting advice

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by HSD, Sep 17, 2020.

1. HSD

HSD New commenter

Sharing a behaviour risk assessment to a bereaved parent - any advice for softening the event? The nature of risk assessment language is understandably “no frills” and I’m keen to make the necessary meeting as compassionate as possible. I’m thinking of bringing some good work from the pupil along to make it a more cheerful event. Any other ideas gratefully received.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You make it sound as if bringing some ‘ good ‘ work from the student is something you would not normally consider ? In ANY conversation it is equally important to stress what the student can do / personal qualities / aptitudes/ skills .... it’s not about ‘ cheerful ‘ !? - schools from my experience all too ready to focus on the negative .... which parents ( bereaved or not ) are often desensitised to because it’s all they hear ? Yes, you need to be honest and fair in your appraisal of the situation but given the circumstances be prepared for the parent to be going through the motions - under similar circumstances wouldn’t you ?

MarieAnn18 and Wotton like this.