1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

benefits of using ICT in classrooms

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by sheebaajmal, Mar 15, 2012.

1. what can be the benefits of using ICT in classrooms?

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I can use them to do some research as to how I can avoid asking ridiculously vague questions

3. ICT's another tool in the armoury!

I frequently use BBC Class Clips as part of my lessons, play games on the Interactive Whieboard (when working properly), display and edit children's work. And that's just one type of ICT.
    I can happily teach without ICT just as I could teach without ever taking the children outside or without books, or when the photocopier's broken! All these things are tools that we use to teach. Don't have to use them all at once but they're all useful to help the children to learn in different ways.

4. You can leave cover lessons which say, "get them them to research ...."

5. Yes there are a number of benefits then evaluating such lesson in which ict is used a difficult job. A thorough planning needs to be done in order to evaluate such lessons. What should we consider while planning lessons for ict?

6. There are a huge number of benfits in using ICT and as mentioned it should be considered as another tool or teaching option that we have along with all the others to ensure that learning experience is as effective as possible.
    Apart from the obvious research tasks and games that can be played, e-learning systems are very useful. If you teach key Stage 5 especially, it is a great way for the students to be able to contact you and ask for feedback outside of the classroom. They can also have access to resources that you have supplied, rewatch videos or redo tasks as well as peer marking and having topical discussions with their peers.
    Used correctly and in the right proportion the benefits of ICT are endless.

7. Dear Sheeba

Planning a lesson in relation to set objectives is indeed a difficult task for the teachers. I think if ict task trigger learners thinking skill, provide facilitation and encourages independence.

8. Dear Sheeba

I am an English language- literature teacher and my pupils learn English as their second language. I would like to discuss only one idea, watching movies in class under teacher's supervision. I think watching films helps improve children’s vocabulary, listening as well as speaking skills. Subtitles also help to learn accurate vocabulary, syntax etc in a relevant though limited context. Character development can also be tracked in a movie more clearly as they can see that within 1/ 2 hrs whereas a book may require a longer time to finish. children’s attention span also improves as they enjoy watching movies. I found this activity particularly helpful for children who are aural or visual learners and are not much into reading.

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

As you're using your tablets for the purpose they're designed for (to look at video) you might find this video instructive (for you, not for them):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIv9rz2NTUk

It will help you with that problem you're having with "learning styles".

10. Good teaching is good teaching and good teachers don?t need to adjust their teaching to different learning styles. Daniel Welligham

Does it mean that actually bringing concepts out of the book into situations where students can relate them with ?ordinary, real life? experiences improves learning? The idea is to help students learn ' the meaning' no matter what the teaching style or tools are?

Where does 'differentiation' fit in?

11. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

No.

There's no evidence this improves learning. Lots of people assume it does, in fact we teach it as fact in our teacher training in England.

But there's no evidence to support it.

Differentiation is another word for "dumbing down". It's when you accept that some members of the class won't achieve as well as others and pretend that by teaching them less you are giving them a more "personalised education".

12. So who are "good teachers" and what is "good teaching"?

13. Please guide!

14. Hi.

I have been following the discussion on this forum. What I understood is that the idea of ICT integration became popular in the 90s and it did not really prove helpful in improving learners? grades. On the same forum I was recommended a very informative video on learning styles that concluded that actually there are no visual or auditory or kinesthetic etc learners. Good teaching is good teaching and good teachers don?t need to adjust their teaching to different learning styles. Relating the concepts with real life examples also has no evidence of improving learning. Even differentiation is ?dumbing down?. All this is making me think so how can I help my learners? How can I improve my teaching? What is important; subject knowledge, class control, w

15. In classrooms ICT can contribute to enhance confidence, independent and self directed learning, facilitate thinking skills, develop sense of motivation and sense of accomplishment among the learners.This can only be possible if one selects an appropriate tool which could help learners to direct towards meaningful learning.

16. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

I think perhaps you should address your questions to a more general audience on a different forum. This is an ICT forum and I don't think anyone would suggest teaching our subject without computers, so the importance of them is rather taken for granted. As to what makes a good teacher, everyone has their own ideas. I have even heard it said that Ofsted inspectors find it hard to say what an outstanding lesson is, although they know one when they see it! I have always felt somewhat inadequate because I didn't really get the whole learning styles thing! I don't really have much success with differentiation either and have never met anyone who could explain it properly to me. I don't really see how it is possible to differentiate for a class of 25 mixed ability kids with a variety of different needs. I still think that I am a good teacher however!