1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Benefits of having a masters in education?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have a good degree and graduated from university a year ago (3 year course). Since then, I've been trying very hard to get a job and keep losing out and have been a school's second choice on a number of occasions. I've been doing supply work to gain more teaching experience and voluntary work with kids too, as well as buying TES weekly, reading a lot, working very hard on my interview technique, etc. It's getting me down a bit because I know that I can be a good teacher, but there is just so much competition and not many jobs. I'm not giving up obviously. Whenever I've asked for interview feedback, it hasn't been helpful. They just said that the competition was very strong and that someone else had more experience.
    I loved going to university and being challenged and part of me really misses studying and having lectures. When I'm in interviews, a lot of the candidates are older than me (I'm 22) and PGCE students. What I am trying to work out is how to make myself shine in interviews and stand out, for the right reasons.
    I'm going to continue doing supply work from September and keep looking for a job. Do you think having a masters in education would make me a better teacher and improve my job prospects? What would the benefits of having a masters be? I've been considering doing a masters degree for a while now. I just want to make sure that it would be worth it and will keep working hard to improve the way I come across in interviews. What I really miss is being on placement and teaching every day. I hate just teaching the odd day here and there and I find teaching harder and less natural now than it was on placement. When I was doing it every day, I was inspired, got to know the kids really well and got really creative. It became a lot easier after a while. I feel less used to it now and it's frustrating. I may see if I can volunteer at a local school too. Maybe having someone to observe and assist will help me and give me a little bit more confidence. What do you think I should do please? I would really love to hear from teachers on here and really need some advice. Thanks.

2. I'm starting my masters in October. My main reasons are to further my knowledge about leadership (this will be my focus) and to add to my CV for my next career move (moving from maths manager to hopefully, a key stage leader position). I enjoy studying and given my overall goal of becoming a Deputy Head, I believe it will be valuable for me. The NPQH is no longer compulsory, however know that many schools still expect this qualification, but thought a masters would be a good alternative/step in the right direction towards deputy headship in the future. Finally from sitting in on interviews, I do think it's a huge bonus to show you were able to apply yourself to part-time masters study, whilst still teaching full-time. I know it's going to be a tough challenge, but I'm excited!

3. Hi,
    I was in a very similar position to you when I first qualified. I did two terms from Sept - easter on supply and I was lucky that some schools actually liked me and kept asking for me back. Building up a rapport on supply is very important. Then, I got my NQT job which was extended by a term. After that, I had to go back on supply. During my NQT year I started the Masters of Teaching and Learning which at the time was fully funded. I found that it really helped me develop and almost fast track my understanding of the job, allowing me to research in real time in the classroom as well as at uni. Hard work. But then, my contract ran out and due to budget restraints was not renewed, so I had to go back on supply. That was really hard. Had to do that from the September until Christmas, then landed a job that has lasted from January until December this year. Been very lucky, although now I'm looking for a permanent job or at least one that looks that way.
    In my experience, now that I am at the end of my Masters, it has been great to do alongside teaching as I have learned so much more about what it means to teach and different ways to manage, teach and personalise learning. However, I would say doing qualifications such as the Catholic Teaching Certificate are more likely to stand out in applications than a Masters. I'm glad I did it and if I ever get a permanent job at least I've got the background behind me to look for promotion or management, my current head has said I'd make a good manager in the future.
    The main thing is don't give up on supply, I know how hard it is and I hope it doesn't come back to me having to do that again, getting up early and waiting by the phone, but it is a good learning ground where you experience lots of different ways of working, different behaviour management systems, different areas and different year groups - time on supply is almost like doing another qualification as it gives you experience in different areas. Some schools actually look for people to have had varied experiences before settling in to one school.
    Hope that helps!