1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Benefits of drumming for children,anyone know any research?

Discussion in 'Music' started by JillStephens, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hi, our PTA are prepared to consider buying us some drums but would like some research showing that drumming is beneficial for Primary School children.
    They are asking for something more offcial than me just listing the benefits!
    Any links would be very appreciated as I haven't found anything good yet.

Good wishes, Jill

2. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

3. I realise that this is a bit of a plug but we make drums which you may find interesting and being an ex music teacher in secondary and now DT i have a wide experience of this but no written research. Our prices are also a lot cheaper than you may think but if you check us out at www.dragondrums.co.uk you will not only see but hear what we do and we are based in North Wales and you could contact us from there if you like what you see and hear.

4. Of course it's beneficial! You should see some of our kids go! If only a hobby for life and not professional, it's great fun and develops superb co-ordination, confidence and listening skills (until your burst your ear drum!). Nothing official, but just see our kids playing! Says it all.

5. There used to be a great video on Teacher's TV about this. Can't find a copy in the TES achive though.
    This link is the 3rd party the school in question co-operated with in Stoke on Trent . http://www.planetsound-arts.co.uk/
    Regards

6. Thankyou! These research links look great and might just let me spend my time doing something more valuable : )
    Thanks for the link to your drum site, these look great! I'd love one or more table drum(s).
    We have been lucky to have 10 weeks of workshops for the year twos in samba for the last couple of years but the company bring their own drums and so I can't carry it on when they leave. Even a class set of drum sticks would be great so we could 'drum' on the carpet (I remember my brother getting some distance with his drumming lessons with just a vinyl topped stool to practice on)!
    If anyone has any good links to drumming info for doing drumming with KS1 & 2 that would also be much appreciated.
    Good wishes, Jill

7. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

I have a load of drumsticks which I used for rhythm work and games - probably not quite a class set as I have parted with some. I am now retired so these could do with new home. Some sets may be new, but most are used but still in as new condition, and a good brand. You could have them for a knock down price plus postage if you are interested.
    My e mail is jubilada07@live.co.uk
    As for the drumming - get the PTA to do a workshop and see the benefits of it for themselves. You may even find you have a request for a parents drum group!

8. bod99

bod99 New commenter

I went to a great workshop at a conference where they used dowl(?) sticks instead of drumsticks and we drummed on tables, backs of chairs and biscuit tins. Great sound and MUCH cheaper. Buy in lengths to suit from a DIY shop. For extra stimulus write musical words along them and get kids to define them.