1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Benefits of being PE coordinator?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greta444, Jun 25, 2011.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

P.e. co-ordinator takes up loads of time. Arranging fixtures, finding and selecting suitable kids, usually through extra coaching sessions or clubs. You usually would attend the fixtures, leaving your difficult class in someone else's hands. You try to keep tabs on what equipment is available nd keep that in good order. Even washing kit appears on my list sometimes. I keep a record of results in fixtures. Then there's gathering and keeping evidence of standards which is a pain because there's no written work, it all has to be on video or photo.
    I would say it's the toughest subject to co-ordinate in terms of workload, so think twice, esp as you have year six and all the stuff that goes with that, transition, residential trip, SATS, behaviour issues.
    Take another subject if you can. And the day P.E. becomes a core subject is the day I get selected for the Olympics!!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

[​IMG]

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I loved being subject leader for PE as it is something I'm interested in.
    The bit I hated was that it always seemed to fall to me to tidy the PE cupboard. It down't matter how much you nag teachers not to allow kids to put stuff away ... of course they are going to as it saves time.
    The other aspect of PE to consider is that it is a load of subjects in one ... think of all the different games you need to know something about? Then there is swimming, athletics, dance, gymnastics, outdoor ed. etc etc...
    IMO the only subjects that really make a difference to your career development are English and Maths. However you can gain a great deal of experience from leading a variety of subjects.
    What will look good on your CV? What will impress others enough to consider you for that step upwards in the next few years? The subject itself doesn't really matter, it's what you do with these opportunities.
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

5. I did it for 7 years....very tough, as you're working to time deadlines all the time! If you don't meet a deadline in other subjects, it's not usually a disaster, but if you miss one for PE, your children don't attend a fixture! It's the permission slips, etc that I used to find time-consuming. [​IMG]

6. At my school, Its far more time consuming than hist/geog/art/PSHE/music/science...about on par with ICT in terms of the fact that half of the time you are not actually co-ordinating the teaching and learning of the subject, more the provision of resources and all the extra bits and bobs it entails...but its not as demanding as Lit and Num in terms of expectations.

7. Msz

We haven't had a PE coordinator for years but still manage to attend all the fixtures and get the permission slips signed [​IMG]

8. You kind of illustrate my point then....it's usually the PE leader's job to do all of that, but I'm guessing you split the job between more than one person. Think it's important to have a leader so that the monitoring, budget spending, etc can be done efficiently, but if it works for you to split the jobs, then very well done.
    I sounded very negative in the last post, but actually I loved being PE leader, but upon a 5 year drop in the ages of children I teach, the job wasn't appropriate for me anymore...I was happy to keep doing it, and love the development you see, and the differences in children observed, but now enjoy not having to do all the stuff that goes with it.
    Go for it!! [​IMG]

9. Msz

only if you call individual class teachers taking responsibility for permission slips splitting the job