1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Benefits Britain: Life On The Dole

Discussion in 'Personal' started by VanDerValk, Nov 22, 2015.

1. VanDerValk

VanDerValk Occasional commenter

Just watching this on 5* at the moment. I'm disgusted! We've got Romanian on benefits claiming for his family back in Romania and getting his house renovated at the British tax payer's expense. He's also collecting scrap for money! Why are we paying this when we have so many homeless and so many who are having their benefits cut here in the UK? This guy is making tens of thousands and shows no shame whatsoever! Why is he entitled to all this?

Next, a Kurdish family moaning that their £200 a week prevents them from buying clothes, and the father has to make his fags last. My heart bleeds for him! They are moaning too, that we haven't provided them with a big house, maybe like the one they left with servants and all. Poor dabs! We're saving their lives, but no, that isn't enough! Ungrateful scroungers! Why do we allow this?

Polish woman, in Poland claiming - you guessed it! - British Benefits! Is she happy? No! More moaning, the ingrate!

Who else? Oh, yes, the Kenyan woman with her kids, who are so badly treated they have to stay in hotel rooms. Lovely, clean, hotel rooms! My heart bleeds for them! The central heating has been broken in my home for 2 years now, and the hot water broke last year. I get no grant or hand-outs to fix it! I'd be more than happy to live in a hotel! Maybe she'd like to swap! She'd be right onto the council, and it would be done at the expense of the tax payer because people aren't supposed to live in these conditions.

What is wrong with this stupid country?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Romanians are cool.

aspensquiver likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

So are Kurds.

aspensquiver likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Vince, don't forget the Kenyans

aspensquiver and Vince_Ulam like this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Absolutely not, @lanokia. Those Kenyans, they know how to shake it,

aspensquiver likes this.
  6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Grammar for a start.

7. Vince_Ulam

Let's not forget the Brits:

8. VanDerValk

What do you mean?
    If you are referring to the apostrophe, that would be orthography rather than grammar, I believe, but even so, tax payer (or tax-payer as it should really be) is perfectly acceptable in the singular in this context. One says 'at the expense of the British tax payer', after all, not 'at the expense of the British tax payers', doesn't one? It's all about idiom, dear.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

While he maybe a Republican Kelsey Grammar is a very good actor, Frasier remains one of the better US Sitcoms and he was the only good thing in X-Men 3 as Beast.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. VanDerValk

He could come here and claim benefits too, then moan that he's not getting enough free cash and the 5-star hotel the council funding for him isn't a patch on his Seattle penthouse with eclectic furnishings. He can probably claim for Daphne and the dog too, back in the States. He might even get a skyscraper built from scratch at the expense of the British taxpayer. Worth a shot, after all, everyone else seems to be getting what they want, as long as they're not British, of course!

11. VanDerValk

Are we paying for their costumes? Just wondered.

aspensquiver likes this.
  12. VanDerValk

Nice dance! Nice costumes too! So, which part of that is funded by the British taxpayer? Whatever it is, it will never be enough!

13. VanDerValk

I don't like the costumes. They'd look better in similar ones. Maybe we should pay for a full set.

14. VanDerValk

These days, they'd all be on sanctions!

15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Wasn't Van der Valk an intergral part of the Dutch World Cup side of '74?

Holding midfielder, prone to occasional marauding forays?

aspensquiver and sabrinakat like this.
  16. Vince_Ulam

Frasier is a classic. Have you seen Grammar in Boss? I think it was cancelled first season but it wasn't bad. There's a great video on Youtube featuring some of his fruitier lines in that show but I'm certainly not linking to it here.

aspensquiver likes this.
  17. Vince_Ulam

Is this his marauding foray face?

[​IMG]

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Looks like a different kind of face...

19. Vince_Ulam

Maybe it's this one:

[​IMG]