1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bending the rules for tests?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teacheratschool, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Advice Needed. My head teacher has recently hinted at bending the rules slightly for some future formal testing of the children. I am not sure this should be allowed and I certainly don't want to be part of it. He also insists on being in a classroom of children alone whilst invigilating (so that any rule bending will go unnoticed) What should I do?

2. Hinted but not actually told you? So could just be a wish - he is obviously too professional to ever do it isn't he? You trust him to invigilate unaccompanied don't you? Can it not just be see no evil hear no evil situation? You are not part of it - you don't really know it is going on and if asked he certainly didn't say it outright and you had every reason to disbelieve a claim like that.

I used to work in Law typing this response made me realise old habits die hard.

3. inq

inq

Even if he is invigilating alone the LA can arrive at any point to watch how tests are being carried out.
    I would have nothing to do with it at all

4. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

<h2>We are not allowed to invigilate alone. However, my children have been 'trained' to certain cues eg "you are half way through" means "stop and read your work and check it isn't absolute drivel", "you have 5 minutes left" = "at least make it sound finished and check you have capital letters and full stops", "are you sure?" = "check that answer" followed by "are you sure?" = "thats wrong, please correct it"</h2>

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Sorry I have no idea what happened to the font there! :S

6. inq

inq

Presumably you don't tell children to "check that answer, are you sure" in a test though. Ours knew that times - half way through and 5 minutes left were an indication of how much they should have done and to reread it, that was standard classroom practice.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

8. bonniconni

bonniconni New commenter

I'm not at all surprised at the comments above. Im my previous school the Deputy would take the test papers home in the evening after the tests to 'go through' them. Not sure what she did (if anything). I have also known of teachers who walk around the test room uttering sharp intakes of breath if they notice an incorrect answer, or even worse pointing at an incorrect answer and telling a child to "check this one".

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Don't you think those who think they are helping a pupil by pointing to an incorrect answer and saying 'check that' or tutting etc. are actually putting the child under great pressure? Just think how disturbing it must be to be in the test situation, know you have one wrong and not see why - the child could spend a lot of time puzzling and getting anxious when they could have been getting on with other questions they do know how to do!

10. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Every child that has a reader for a maths test is asked "are you sure?" before moving on to the next question. They're never told to "check the answer" but they know thats what it means!

11. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Personally, I share silverlocket's view that I would never do it.
    Furthermore, I would have no qualms about whistleblowing if I had evidence of it happening in my school.

12. I too would have no qualms about whistle blowing if I had evidence.
    Quite a few years ago now a local school had all it's tests disallowed after LEA bods walked in during tests and found inappropriate 'prompting' (and I think in one case rubbing out answers and telling child to correct) by readers - all under the instruction of the head. Imagine how you would feel as a child who'd worked hard on the tests to have that happen, all your hard work counting for nothing.
    If I couldn't prove that something untoward was going on, and I couldn't prevent it, then I'd certainly distance myself as far as possible, just in case.
    For the record I've invigilated a small group of extra timers during SATs for the past few years on my own and I would be mortified if there was ever a hint that I (or any of my team) couldn't be trusted to do it and be professional.