1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Benchmarking...how is it for you?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alwayslearning, Jan 29, 2011.

1. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New commenter

In September we begun Benchamrking to assess the childrens reading level and colourband. However, a problem arose when the majority of my children came out of the asssessment on a far lower colour than the previous teacher said.
    Now my children have been reassessed and although progress is being made, it isn't as quick as I hoped and they are still a long way from where they were in accordance with last years teacher. Do you use Benchmarking? Do you feel it's accurate? HELP! What do I do to accelerate the reading?

2. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New commenter

3. I'm not really too sure what you mean by benchmarking?
    I assess my childrens reading etc... but not used the phrase benchmarking.

4. Benchmarking is a form of reading assessment.

5. What age group? We use PM benchmark in year2 and it's fairly accurate until the children get into level 3 when we abandon it and use other methods based on the AFs (whcih we also use at lower levels, but for ease and to prove to parents that they AREN'T ready to go up a colour yet benchmarking is quite clear)