1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Belle's Sausage Curry

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I developed this recipe many years ago, following my appearance on Masterchef and subsequent role as cookery column writer for a local rag. It was done for a 'Bonfire Night Special'.
    Over the year I 'lost' the recipe but reinvented it on Saturday for a Halloween supper and it was hailed such a success I thought I'd share it with you.
    It's one of those dishes, sausage + curry, that sounds like it shouldn't work, but it does work wonderfully. Of course, the curry bit would also work with any other meat or fish but what it needs most is time.
    I apologise for the lack of concise measurements, kind of 'bucket cookery' but you can adapt to your own taste.....particularly the chillis!
    Here goes:
    In a food processor place 1-2 inches of peeled, chopped fresh ginger, 6-8 peeled cloves of garlic and as many chopped fresh chillis as you like (seeds in if you like it even hotter).
    Add a little cold water and whizz to a paste.
    Meanwhile toast 2 tsp each of corainder seeds and cumin seeds in a frying pan.
    When toasted (keep a close eye and keep the seed moving) grind to a powder in a spice mill or pestle and mortar.
    In a separate pan gently fry one or two chopped onions until slightly soft.
    Now, heat up an oven proof casserole dish and pour in the paste. Gently fry for a couple of minutes then add the ground spices and around 4 cracked cardamom pods and fry for another 2-3 minutes, stirring.
    Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a good quality stock cube (I use the Knorr stock pot in rich beef but whatever you fancy.....just adds a bit of depth to the flavour) and a can of creamed coconut.
    Bring to the boil and add browned sausages (good, plain pork bangers are best), cut into 1 inch pieces (or chicken, beef or lamb).
    Pop the lid on and leave to cook in a very slow oven/slow cooker for at least 3-4 hours (I pop mine in the simmering oven of the Aga and leave overnight).
    Before serving check seasoning, adjust chilli (with powdered chilli) if more needed, add salt if needed and stir in chopped, fresh coriander leaves.
    Deeeeelish!
    If using fish or prawns I'd cook the sauce for a long time then add fish or prawns at the end, or if making a veggie curry as soggy veggies not so good.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

That sounds great, Belle.
    Must admit - I read your other post about sausage curry and it got me thinking. I hadn't really considered sausage curry as a meal, other than in my student days when a housemate would 'make' a sausage curry from cheapo sausages and a jar of Unce Ben's cook-in sauce...the results of which were...well...a little studenty. But I can see why it would work - the spiced, herby, sweet meat of the sausages would compliment the heat and spices very well indeed.
    I was considering trying this this weekend and was going to use one of my own curry recipes and adapt it (was going to use a North Indian/Punjabi recipe I use with chicken) but I think I'll go for your method instead for a first bash at it - I like the idea of the relative simplicity of the spicing. I might chuck in a couple of bay leaves though.
    Will let you know how it goes.

3. BelleDuJour

I hope you enjoy it nick and I know you'll be skilled enough to work with my unmeasured ingredients!
    I'm sure bay would be fine too add but may get hidden amongst the other spices. Maybe a cinnamon stick might be better.
    It really is yummy and not at all student like!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

That sounds delicious Belle!
    And I see nothing wrong woth sausages and curry...I recall once making a Bockwurst Satay!
    (More of a 'what can I make with these leftovers' meal rather than a pre-planned neal!)

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have to admit that it sounded like one particular episode of Come Dine with Me where the contestant made bacon and egg korma, or something like that. saying that I do make a Thai Red curry with meatballs...same thing really...

6. BelleDuJour

[​IMG]

7. oooooooh, what a good idea.
    I often use sausage (heck, I live in blinking sausage land!) to make a cheap gulasch or soup (this was invented one day when daughter said she wanted lentil soup without lentils...) but I have never thought of making a sausage curry!
    Will be giving this a try definitely (unfortunately not this weekend as daughter is adament that she wants mince and dumplings and son is adament that he wants pasta bake...*sigh*).

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Tis indeed lovely.
    Made a small batch this time, with half a dozen sausages, which has done us tea tonight and D has got a small portion for lunch tomorrow, but will make a larger batch next time to freeze some.
    I had a bit of a heavy hand with the coconut cream this time, and will use a bit less next time (or rather will use the same amount for more curry!). Still really delicious, though.
    Ta for sharing Belle.

9. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

I used to make a sausage curry as a student but not using Mr Bens (that was too pricey!). I also make boerwors stew occasionally (tomato based). Definitely going to try this and to bulk it out add some boiled egg quarters and some mushrooms - breakfast curry!!

10. BelleDuJour

Sounds yummy.....but not sure about eating it for breakfast!
    I often make egg, mushroom and spinach curry which is yummy.

11. BelleDuJour

Nick, glad you liked it. As for the coconut use 1 can chopped toms to 1 can coconut cream/milk.
    When I make this I use a shallow(ish) casserole to fry onions and spices then I add toms and coconut, then add sausages and stock. If needed add a little liquid just to cover the sausages.

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Cheers Belle - just want to make clear that despite my putting a little too much coconut in for my tastes (I used one of the sachets of solid coconut cream - which made the sauce a little grainy - I'll use coconut milk next time and it will be perfect!) - it was still absolutely delicious.

Highly recommended to anyone who's not made it yet.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Added to hotlist. Thanks Belle.
    That sounds like the ideal meal to leave simmering in the slow cooker while we go out for a long wintery walk!

14. The reason veggie sausages are so soft is of course, because of the binding and the lack of the gut casing.
    I find that coating them in flour and allowing to chill really well, helps to keep the "crispness" we associate with meat sausages.
    The texture is never quite the same, but actually no more different to the meat sausages my step-dad buys, which are organic and very soft in texture (due to the lack of chemical binders).

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Plan: I have bought two sorts of sausages so I can use both and compare them for next time. I shall also slice them before I cook them - lengthways, maybe - so that I can crisp up more of it.

I shall let you know how it goes!

EDIT: I am interested to learn that meat sausages are crisp. I always assumed they're squadgy!

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's not so much that they are crisp but the casing on a good sausage has a satisfying 'pop' when you bite into it. The meat on a cheap sausage is certainly 'squadgy' as it's usually highly processesd, full of cereal 'filler' and usually has a higher fat content. A decent sausage will be more coarse and meaty and therefore more solid.
    Good luck with your plan!

17. BelleDuJour

I hope this works with vegetarian sauages. I share nick's concern about the texture, and hope they will not fall apart during cooking. To avoid this I suggest making the curry sauce and adding fully cooked, chopped veggie sausages at the end, so as to just heat them through which will avoid them possibly falling apart.
    I wouldn't worry sbout getting them 'crisp'. as meat sausages lose any hint of crispness as they stew in the sauce.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it Lilac!

18. lilachardy

It's good!
    They didn't
    I went for it and put them in at the start, and they're fine.
    I think next time, though, I might make it as a vegetable curry - perhaps with something firm like butternut squash teamed with spinach. Or chick peas maybe.
    Thinking cap is on!

19. BelleDuJour

I think it would work very well as a veggie curry. I'd use potatoes, spinach and chick peas. Or cauliflower. Or mushrooms and okra. Yummy!!!!!

20. lilachardy

Something sweet would be good... even carrot.

It could well be leftover-veg curry!

LIKE.