1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Belle & Pobble's celebration of British grub!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Apr 15, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

bollocks
    Thank you TES! [​IMG]

2. Well, I have to admit that tonight we are eating British....

... pork chops, mash and peas!

Potatoes and pork bought from the farm shop - posh pig, maris piper potatoes (I worked at Maris Lane for a couple of years as a teen) - and peas are an old ish variety called British Wonder.

I know it's not traditional, but it is British!
    I shall be doing a lot of reading over the next few weeks, traditional, British and seasonal are my food goals!

3. BelleDuJour

Pork is very British Pobble.
    Mash is very British.
    Peas are very British but we are so used to the frozen kind.
    I think tomorrow my cheese and onion pie might beckon!

4. I love the idea of this thread [​IMG] We've had beef stew with mash, broccoli and cabbage for our lunch today and delicious it was too.
    Belle, I've never made cheese and onion pie, please could you post your recipe....thanks, in anticipation.

5. OMG, Belle!
    That reminds me of a pie we used to eat in a pub in Falmouth, it must be the King's Head cos we call it Kings cheese and potato pie!

Mash and cheese as usual but with a pickle layer about half an inch from the bottom!
    Oh the variations on that and I had absolutely forgotten it!

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

If it is cooked well, then British food can be delicious! So. I'll offer up the following menu suggestions and hope I am permitted to join the celebration. ...

<u>Breakfast:</u>
    Everyone thinks of the 'full' English, but we don't need to go that far...
    Scrambled eggs with kidneys
    or 'natural' Kippers (no sulphur-yellow dye please!)
    <u></u>
    <u>Lunch:</u>
    A bowl of soup - maybe oxtail?..or pea?
    A slice of cold pie...raised pork pie (with jelly!)...or maybe game pie?
    A few slices of home-cured ham, real corned beef, tongue and a selection of cheeses...plus an assortment of pickles and chutneys.
    Staffordshire Oatcakes, Wheaten Farl, Soda Bread, Milk Knots, Cottage Loaf, ....proper, home-baked bread in all its glorious varieties!

<u>Afternoon Tea:</u>
    Come on Britain.....you should shine here! ....And afternoon tea is <u>not</u> an indifferent scone with a smear of jam and a squirt of aerosol cream - despite what any number of tourist cafes will try and tell you!
    I want sandwiches - salmon....and cucumber
    And scones - big ones, fruity and spread with real butter.
    And Cake - no cream, not of the butter or of the whipped varieties...I want proper seed cake!...and sultana cake....maybe I'll allow a jam sponge on the table....

<u>High Tea:</u>
    What happened to this? Someone needs to bring it back!
    Gentlemans Relish on Toast (Come on...any excuse for this delicacy!....it's divine!)
    Dripping Toast.
    Kedgeree (also a possible breakfast dish)
    Oatmeal herring and soda bread.
    Baked Egg
    Potted Srimps. (Please note...a jar of shrimp paste is not going to be accepted!)
    Teabread (not a bought 'malt' loaf...let's start baking our own...banana bread....fruity tea loaves) again with proper butter.
    Home made bread and jam (and lemon/lime curd...my latest home-made effort!)

<u>Main Meal:</u>
    Sausages with Onion Gravy and Mash
    Toad in The Hole
    Liver and Kidneys....forget what you were force-fed at school, we need to reclaim offal! (If I am allowed to slip a little into German food and sneak some semolina dumplings onto my plate that'd be really good?...No?)
    Rabbit...oh I love rabbit....and pigeon....and venison...my flirty butcher can get them in but has to push to sell them....people see them as 'fluffy and cute' ...well, so are cute little baa-lambs and little piglings and sweet little calves...and fluffy little chicks...but they are still MEAT!
    Mash, Swede and Bacon (I've mentioned this a few times on the forum...it is scrumptious...but must include bacon fat poured over the swede!)
    Steak and Kidney Pudding.
    Stew and large fluffy dumplings.
    <u>And Puddings...</u>
    Syrup sponge and Custard
    Jam-Roly Poly and Custard
    Spotted Dick and Custard
    Apple Pie and Custard
    Gooseberry Crumble and Custard
    Rice Pudding...and semolina...macaronmi...tapioca
    Sussex-Pond Pudding
    A Proper Trifle
    Blancmange

7. BelleDuJour

OK Suze but this is a proper Belle's Bucket recipe, with no exact quantities!
    Make and bake blind a shortcrust pastry case.
    Roughly slice two large onions and either simmer in a little water until tender or (this is best) place in a microwave dish with some water, cover with cling film and cook for about 4 minutes.
    Drain the onion liquor and put in a saucepan with an equal quanitiy of milk. Now add loads of grated cheddar and stir over a low hear until melted and gooey (sorry not to give quantities but I reackon at least 4 large handfuls.....doesn't really matter as you can't add too much!)
    Now, fill the pastry case with the cooked onions, pour over the cheese mix and bake in a hot oven for 20 mins.
    Best served warm with a crisp green salad.
    Enjoy!

8. Thanks for posting, Belle.... the recipe looks great and I'll definitely make that very soon. What size dish do you use?

9. BelleDuJour

I usually use a 7 or 8 inch pie dish. Sorry quantities are a bit vague but it really doesn't matter. Only important thing is to use really good, mature cheese.....nonoe of that mild rubbery stuff!

10. I thought a 20cm ish would be ok but wanted to check. Definitely no mild cheese to be found in our fridge and vague quantities are fine by me. Do you remember the thread on here about rabbit? My mum's making her maltese rabbit stew next week and knows I need the recipe so I'll be helping her whilst making recipe notes, again vague quantities, and a lot of tasting along the way will have to suffice!

11. BelleDuJour

Oh yes. I've bookmarked the bunny thread. I've two bunnies in my freezer at the mo just waiting for the pot!

12. This is slightly off the topic (and I apologise if it's been said before), but did anyone see the Great British Food Revival programme where they were talking about British cheese? I was horrified to find out that the majority of our cheddar is imported from Australia and the like. It's made me really aware of what I'm buying and have started to only but the 'West Country Farmhouse' cheddar (living in the West Country I really should be anyway [​IMG] )

13. BelleDuJour

Yes I did. I only ever buy British cheddar....and English pork and bacon and so on.
    What a fab programme that was!

14. Wonderful programme - the one about pork was amazing; when she cut into that crackling I was drooling!

15. BelleDuJour

Me too.
    So much so I cooked belly pork the very next day!

16. I submit the sublime British early asparagus I had last night. Admittedly, roasted with not very British Parma ham but grand none the less.

17. Not British pork and bacon...?!
    Get stuck into these with a pot of proper tea - no Earl Grey or Lapsang Souchon.
    [​IMG]

18. Cheese and onion pie for us tomorrow, that sounds terrific - and MrA is pretty keen too.

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No tea is British, beer used to be drunk for breakfast. However Earl Grey is named after a British Prime Minister.

The Earl Grey blend is named after 2nd Earl Grey, British Prime Minister in the 1830s and author of the Reform Bill of 1832, who reputedly received a gift, probably a diplomatic perquisite, of tea flavoured with bergamot oil,<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2] taken from bergamot, a citrus fruit typical of Southeast Asia and grown commercially in Italy.<sup id="cite_ref-bergamottin_2-0" class="reference">[3]

According to one legend, a grateful Chinese mandarin
    whose son was rescued from drowning by one of Lord Grey's men first
    presented the blend to the Earl in 1803. The tale has no basis in fact,
    as Lord Grey never set foot in China<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4]
    and the use of bergamot oil to scent tea was then unknown in China.
    However, this tale is subsequently told (and slightly corrected) on the Twinings website, as "having been presented by an envoy on his return from China".<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[5]

Jacksons of Piccadilly
    claim they originated Earl Grey's Tea, Lord Grey having given the
    recipe to Robert Jackson & Co. partner George Charlton in 1830.
    According to Jacksons the original recipe has been in constant
    production and has never left their hands. Theirs has been based on
    China tea since the beginning.<sup id="cite_ref-Twining_5-0" class="reference">[6]<sup id="cite_ref-secret_6-0" class="reference">[7]

According to the Grey family, the tea was specially blended by a Chinese mandarin for Lord Grey, to suit the water at Howick Hall,
    the family seat in Northumberland, using bergamot in particular to
    offset the preponderance of lime in the local water. Lady Grey used it
    to entertain in London as a political hostess, and it proved so popular
    that she was asked if it could be sold to others, which is how Twinings
    came to market it as a brand.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]

Wiki so excuse all the blue bits.

20. I said proper tea. Having asked for tea in many places and been bitterly disappointed with the result, I'm not aware of any other country which serves proper tea. Nor do they serve it with milk and sugar, let alone scones.
    Has lemon meringue been mentioned yet, or proper biscuits? Proper biscuits aren't cookies or biscotti, they're designed to accompany proper tea.
    And what about curry? I'm sure the way we eat it isn't the same as on the Indian sub-continent so it must now count as a British dish.