1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Belle is off on another gastronomic tour.....this time.....to.....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Jul 12, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

CORNWALL!!!!
    Yes, I'm off for a few days in Cornwall, to catch the surf and feast on the local delicacies.
    Think of me at 6pm tonight, when I shall be outside Rick Stein's Fish 'n Chip shop in Padstow, together with my son and OH as we lie in wait for my daughter to turn up and surprise her!Then we shall dine on Rick's finest......can't wait.
    Tomorrow we have booked a lovely restaurant, 'The Mote', in Port Isaac for her 20th birthday. The restaurant has given us their best table with a view directly overlooking the harbour. There will be 8 of usi ncluding the family she is on holiday with, and I am looking forward to mussells, crab and just about anything local I can find.............which is plenty! I must though, remember to leave some room for the magnificent chocolate birthday cake I am taking with us [​IMG]
    I shall also be sampling (for quality control purposes you understand!) every ice cream available on Polzeath beach (usually some 40-50 varieties) and the odd pasty or two.
    I shall report back on my return at the end of the week.
    Happy cooking fellow forum readers!
    [​IMG]

2. Doesn't sound like you'll be doing much cooking!

Crantock bakery pasties are very good, so are the ones at the bakery in Portreath.

Have a great time - watch out for the seagulls.

3. I haven't been to Polzeath for years - I need more info on the ice cream, Belle!
    I may be tootling down to St Mawes in a couple of weeks, last years wedding anniversary in Padstow may have set a precedent! Fish suppers, pasties and ice cream..... yay!

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Hope you've had a wonderful few days, Belle. Sounds idyllic!

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Well, wwe started out in Padstow with pasties (the bestest ever!), followed by proper fish and chips at Rick Steins. I had grilled hake with chips and mushy peas,cooked in beef dripping and quite delicious! Managed to find room to squeeze in a gooseberry and clotted cream ice cream!
    Next day we started with a wonderful full English, cooked to order in our lovely hotel. A day on the beach in the surf then back to hotel for wash and brush up, few glasses of Pimms in the sunshine then off to 'The Mote' in Port Isaac (where Doc Martin is filmed) for my daughter's birthday dinner. I dined on whitebait and seafood risotto.
    More pasties the next day plus 3 ice creams......honeycomb and fudge, coconut and raspberry with clotted cream.
    Just wonderful, good, proper English grub!
    I must say, Port Isaac is like being in a different world. Quite the most beautiful village ever, with tiny winding streets only just big enough for a car......not that anyone with any sense would drive down them. It's like being in another world. Sitting in the restaurant, overlooking the tiny bay, you could almost see the smugglers landing their hoards in bygone days......awesome place and highly recommended.