1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Believe in ghosts?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Oct 30, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

With Halloween approaching [and knowing you are all festive and fun people who embrace these celebrations] why don't we all share stories of ghosts?

It'll be fun!

Only problem is... I've never seen on, experienced one... and I don't believe in them.

LINK - yeah this link gives a bit of science that explains ghosts woooooo

But, please don't let that stop you, I won't mock, always loved a good ghost story [MR James and Ambrose Bierce are favs]

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I love ghost stories but don't believe in ghosts. I always look out for any ghost tours when we are travelling. It is a fun way to get your bearings and find out a little of the history of the place. When we moved to this town I booked the local ghost tour and was very disappointed to find it was run by people who believe in ghosts. They told a few stories but we mainly stood outside various buildings and told to "feel the spirits".
    I didn't feel any of them until we went for a drink afterwards!

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

lanokia likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've never actually been on a Ghost Walk @bombaysapphire .

Always seems a good source of work for unemployed actors.

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I have a few good stories but won't be sharing them on here!

lanokia likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah go on @monicabilongame

I did mean it, I'm not looking to mock. Just like a good fright.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's why I love mirrors.

Babooom!!!

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The best one I have done was in York. We also did a Jack the Ripper walk last time we were in London. Our leader was a Beefeater on his night off. He was fascinating and it was hinged around an interesting conspiracy theory.

lanokia likes this.
  9. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Please do! I love chilling tales though I don't think ghosts exist.

10. monicabilongame

That's why I won't be sharing them on here, particularly as they are (a) all true, and (b) mostly not scary, but (c) give cause for thought for those who are open to thinking or considering that things might not be as they prefer to believe, and (d) all from personal experience, or the experience of someone close.

I've seen what some posters on here say to other posters who hold very different beliefs, and it's frequently not pleasant and sometimes gets personal. I don't feel inclined to set myself up for that.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Never knowingly seen a ghost, but on one occasion at my workplace I saw someone in modern clothes in an area enclosed on 3 sides who disappeared very quickly as I briefly went out of sight of them. If they didn't sprint, or leap on a bike I hadn't noticed, I'm at a loss to explain how they managed it.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Absolute load of old bilge. IMHO.

13. monicabilongame

I should add that I am an extremely sceptical person :D

14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Oh go on!!
    Get off the fence!!
    What do you really think?
    :D

15. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

We live in a converted chapel and have had many strange experiences. For instance:
    • objects going missing and then reappearing in a place that we've both searched several times;
    • a PC turning on in the middle of the night and playing the same piece of music at full blast in the early hours (terrifying for the first few times and then just a nuisance);
    • items flying off shelves for no reason at all.
    • OH (6'3, hard as nails and previously scornful of anything remotely paranormal) saw a WW1-type nurse drift across the room.
    We now just laugh when anything happens and say 'The ghost's being playful again.'

16. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'm not in the least 'woo' about anything and anyone that knows me would say I'm a cynic, however, two things have happened to me that I haven't found an explanation for. Yet.

One was when my uncle died. He'd rather jokingly said that he'd like to go to heaven on a steam train, he was into that sort of thing. When he died there were four of us in the room and we all heard, at the moment he died, a steam train whistle and then the chuff-chuff as a train went up the line. We don't have steam trains on our line.

Second one was when my grandmother died. I knew before my dad rang to tell me because she'd come into my bedroom at 4.30am to tell me. She died miles away at 4.25am.

17. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Ghosts! Returned from the grave. I will haunt you for ever!!!!!!! Mwhu Hah Hha!:eek::eek:

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Given that archaeologists usually have to dig holes to reach earlier occupation levels, how come people see ghosts walking on the modern-day floor surface? Surely the older the ghosts are the lower down in the ground they'd be walking. Probably explains why we don't see caveman ghosts.

lanokia and teachingking123 like this.
  19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  20. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Wonder if I will see any at Cheddar Gorge tomorrow.