1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Belguim

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by NCC-1701-D, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCC-1701-D

NCC-1701-D New commenter

Two jobs have come up in Belgium (not Brussels) that would suit me and my wife. Is it worth applying for. What is the cost of living and renting?

Wages would be about £50,000 gross each and we would need to consider income tax and and taxation on any benefits e.g. tuition fees.

Package would only be a settling in allowance.

After tax etc would it be a good quality of life or is Belgium too expensive to live on with these wages?

Thanks for your advice

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

576 likes this.
  3. rodno1teach

rodno1teach New commenter

A teacher I know recently said she earned 90k in Belgium but the tax was 50% I think almost. I don't know why she left she didn't say.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

There's a lot of people living quite happily in Belgium on less, and a lot of people living on more. More info on your lifestyle expectations and approach to money would make it easier to help you.
    "Can I live on...?" is a popular conversation around here, and so many times the answer is much more about the person than the package.

5. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I'm sure you can survive on it. Travel and save? Maybe not so much. But you may be paying into a state pension...

6. rodno1teach

rodno1teach New commenter

survive on 2 x 50k salaries?

7. NCC-1701-D

NCC-1701-D New commenter

We don't want to 'survive' but have a better quality of life then in U.K.
    I understand the money is more but the tax is also going to be higher and cost of living is also higher.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

You can compare cities directly in the UK and Belgium on Numbeo. There are also various tax calculators available online that you can do some detailed calculations.
    With both of you grossing £50 000 a year, im pretty sure you will be fine. If its money you are after then get out of western europe. Then those countries will provide a benefits package and the savings, and lifestyles can be amazing

9. danillitroff

danillitroff New commenter

I think that Belgium is a great place to work. Their economy is quite developed "Personal income tax ranges from 0% to 64%, depending on your specific situation and income level. VAT in Belgium is 21%" I guess the teachers doesn't have an expensive one tax.

10. yasf

yasf Established commenter

But you'll get other benefits for the taxes you pay. I've a few ex-colleagues who've worked in Belgium, and they really enjoyed it. Their salaries were similar to what you quoted too, and they seemed to do very well.

11. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Zombie thread

12. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

and Belguim!!!

13. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I empathise with the poster. My spelling is quite good but I have dyslexic thumbs.

14. makhnovite

Maybe a touch too much tripel?

15. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Tripel is not my tipple, nor silence my forte.

16. makhnovite

Nothing quite like a Westmaller Tripel (or three) in Bruges. Ahh the memories!!

17. tk212

tk212 New commenter

Expect to go backward so many years. Belgium is very backward compared to the UK. Food choices whilst some proclaim as great, are expensive and appalling. Whenever I come back to the UK; the taste of the food astounds me. In Belgium its all just tasteless and expensive.
    The schools not in Brussels you're referring to, don't pay as highly as the big bodies in Brussels. Goes by student numbers; check it before you apply. You'll also pay anything between 800-1300 for rent depending on where you are and let me tell you, a couple of these schools having nothing around; really hard to make friends. If you live nearer the city you will pay more rent and more for commuting. The packages are not very good - because you will need a car most likely if you're going to commute and they are more than double the price of the UK. It's a headache to bring your car across; if you have the patience then do it.
    I have enjoyed some elements of Belgium but I found the cost of living high and the tax extortionate; during this pandemic you realise how little you get back for that high tax rate. I have saved 0 over my years here. Don't expect to save anything.

18. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.