1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being referred to OH

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by nawoods, Jan 27, 2011.

1. nawoods

nawoods New commenter

I suffered from a miscarriage in December and have been off sick since then. I did attempt to go back to work for 2 days but I couldn't cope. Then this week my period showed up and I have been in a lot of pain and have been very emotional. I just can't seem to feel any better. I have been to the doctor who has referred me to counselling but there is a waiting list.
    Today my HT called to give their support. They said that as I have been off for a while they will refer me to OH. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this. What did OH do to help? Are they going to pick up on every sick day I have ever had? Also I am worried that school think I have been off for too long. I don't wnat to let anyone down,
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. nawoods

nawoods New commenter

I suffered from a miscarriage in December and have been off sick since then. I did attempt to go back to work for 2 days but I couldn't cope. Then this week my period showed up and I have been in a lot of pain and have been very emotional. I just can't seem to feel any better. I have been to the doctor who has referred me to counselling but there is a waiting list.
    Today my HT called to give their support. They said that as I have been off for a while they will refer me to OH. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this. What did OH do to help? Are they going to pick up on every sick day I have ever had? Also I am worried that school think I have been off for too long. I don't wnat to let anyone down,
    Any advice would be appreciated.

3. I've just been told today that I am also being referred. I was referred once before due to back problems and it was a really supportive process, so I am not worried at all. Most people on here have the same experience i.e. OH are there to support you in getting back to work when you are ready, and can be a good source of advice and general support. They will have a record of sickness absence for the last 2 years, but the appointment is usually to address a specific conncern for the employer, usually to give them an idea of how best to support you when you are back at work.
    You have been through the mill and I am sure that nobody is going to question how genuine you are. As for school thinking you have been off for too long, they will simply be following protocall which is there for mutual benefit.
    Try not to worry about this, you need to concentrate on getting yourself better. I am sure that others on this forum will advise similarly. BTW you can ask for a copy of your OH report after the appointment.

4. OH are very supportive of you and in no way judgmental. They will not question or disagree with any medical opinions, so if you have been signed off they simply accept that. It is very likely that they will refer you to counselling, which after the trauma you have been through is likely to be of help, I would imagine. It's not a threatening process and as the previous poster said, being referred is simply procedure so a school cannot be accused at a later date of not fulfilling their duty of care to you. It doesn't mean they think you've been off for too long!
    Look after yourself x