1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being ready at drop of hat for Ofsted

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dejana, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Have your planning and assessment data available, if needed.
    Make sure your kids know their targets.
    Make sure books are marked up-to-date.
    Make sure your class are trained up to work independently and know what to do when they get stuck. (I didn't actually "teach" much during the observation lesson. I guided individuals or groups when they struggled with something, but didn't do any "whole-class teaching", except for questioning during the plenary.)
    Even if you have planned something potentially "less exciting", try to change it to a more interesting lesson. If, as I'm sure is the case, all of your lessons are always exciting, just keep it that way. (Mine was already planned before they came in, and was quite a risky lesson...but it worked out ok, since the group they came to see were lovely.)

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

See my tips on my blog. http://year2teaching.wordpress.com/
    I wouldnt agree in making it more exciting. I think keep it simple. The children will give you away. They won't be used to it, you might not be able to control their behaviour, or they'll say something like we don't normally do it like this!!

3. good advice thank you,

4. You mean your pupils are only used to "not exciting" lessons? :D However, I meant it more in terms of: don't make them do a 45 minute Maths paper or read to them for 40 minutes of the lesson.
    My lessons for the week had already been planned before we got the call and I refused to change them. I had promised my class and they would have been so annoyed had I cancelled it. But then, they were used to these kinds of lessons and were trained well enough to cope with them.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Apparently when they take kids out to talk to them they now ask "Are all your lessons usually like the one I saw? Was anything different today?"
    So, bit of a giveaway if the kids say, "Yeah, come to think of it, she's usually sat on her laptop while we slog our way through a pile of worksheets in silence. "

6. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

The only "kinds of lessons" that OSTED want to see are ones during which children learn. They don't need to be edutainment.

7. That doesn't mean it has to be boring, though...and I don't do "edutainment". But my classes are used to doing practical lessons, which at times can be a bit mad. They are trained well enough to behave appropriately. My last two Ofsted lessons were both graded "outstanding", so I must be doing something right. Both of them were complex problem solving lessons, albeit rather messy ones. (All of our "save" lessons, on the other hand, were graded satisfactory.) When asked whether lessons are always like this, one of my pupils commented: "Yeah, most of the time. Sometimes we do bookwork, and we do tests and stuff, too. I love maths, it's fun." My maths group make on average three sublevels progress in the year they've got with me.

8. An Ofsted buzz word at present is "typicality".
    They should ask children "Is this a typical lesson?".

9. didnt think poster was suggesting doing something radically different just that its worth not doing something boring like a test and giving yourself a chance to show your skills