1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being Petty....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Apr 14, 2012.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I know I shouldn't, I know we should have a terribly grown up conversation about the incessant barking of our neighbours dogs which has unceremoniously woken me up at 7.20am every morning during the Easter holidays, but instead, we've chosen to get up early on the neighbours day off and do the housework whilst playing rock music pretty loudly. I've got to say, whilst I know it's pathetic, it is strangely satisfying.
    Now, when I'me feeling a bit more of a grown up, how would you suggest I approach this issue with my, rather tempestuous neighbours?

2. Continue with the passive aggression. It's what I'd do with scary neighbours.

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Not at all petty Eva - a just revenge I would say.
    It's a hard one. Years ago my neighbour complained about my dogs barking. She also had dogs which yapped long and loud every time she let them into the garden. My dogs generally barked in response to hers or to the other neighbours' dogs. My dogs always seemed to get blamed for the barking.
    Incidentally, after I'd left home and taken my dogs with me my mother got a phone call at 2 o'clock one morning complaining about my dogs barking!
    Everyone is entitled to their peace and quiet in their own home. Perhaps you could ask your neighbour if they could let the dogs out separately during the hols to allow you time to sleep in. They are just excited about going out to play after a long night. No doubt you don't even notice them when you are at work.
    I don't have dogs now and my neighbour's dogs drive me up the wall when they bark. There again, her husband constantly revving the engine of his landrover all day Saturday and Sunday is even more annoying.
    Another neighbour's teenage son spends his weekends and evenings kicking a football up against their fence. Bah-Boom! Bah-Boom!
    And another one has security lights that shine into our living room and bedroom. I know I could shut the curtains but it doesn't stop the brightness disturbing our sleep at night. Anyway, I like the curtains open.
    I think the only solution is to move to the country and have no neighbours!

4. Neighbours over the back from us had a security light that was extremely bright (floodlit our whole garden and back rooms upstairs and down!) and would frequently sit out until the wee small hours during the summer nights. OH is a postie and finally snapped one night... shouted out the bedroom window 'turn that ******* light off, some of us have jobs!'. Strangely we have never been troubled by their security light since then... now if only we educate them about having their blazing rows inside with their doors and windows shut!

5. dozymare1957

Dinx, why don't you lend your OH to OP and see if he can solve her problem?

6. fantastischfish

They are not outside, they are inside, barking their heads off. And I do notice them every morning when I'm getting ready for work, but I'm already awake so it's not as bad. Still irritating to constantly hear dogs barking though.
    Even more annoying is when our downstairs neighbour has other people's dogs to stay (I'm sure she's running a dogsitting service) and they bark constantly whilst she's out.
    (In case you are confused about how many neighbours I've got, I live in a 1st floor flat above one neighbour and to our right is a house....from the outside it looks like a row of terraced houses, but on each end there are two separate flats).

7. Lol dozymare! He is Glaswegian and quite aggressive when needed so I'm sure he could sort out Eva's noisy neighbours!

8. dozymare1957

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought they were barking when they were let out in the morning.
    I'm totally on your side with this one.
    I wasn't belittling the problem in any way. I was trying to say that in term time it probably didn't seem so bad but to have your whole holiday ruined was horrendous. I'm surprised that you haven't snapped and told them what to do with their dogs.
    Check out this website, if you haven't already, to find out the official way of dealing with noise nuisance.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/NoiseNuisanceAndLitter/DG_10029682
    I like dogs but they should be trained and should not cause a nuisance. My dogs didn't bark any more than my neighbours' dogs but because I was a teenager I was fair game for all the complaints about them.
    Your downstairs neighbour may well be running an illegal business from her home. Is she declaring the money that she earns?
    One thing though, be careful about getting into any disputes with neighbours as these have to be declared when you are trying to sell your property.
    Have you thought about taking up playing the saxaphone? Practising at 10 o'clock at night can be very satisfactory.

9. I'd say a basoon is even better - based on the summer when my neighbour struggled to learn to play it. The most charitable description was that it sounded like a large animal in labour!

10. One word.

Bagpipes.

11. dozymare1957

Have they given up playing bassoon, Goth?
    I think sax might be more irritating as it's a higher pitch. Trumpet is also good or even just a descant recorder.

12. fantastischfish

Oooh, there's an idea. I've still got my recorder from my primary school days when learning the recorder was obligatory and basically the only music education we received.

13. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

Invite loads of friends round and combine all suggestions in the form of a band!

14. I play in a brass band, and could probably recommend one in your area that'd do an impromtu gig in your living room for a couple of crates of beer! ;)

15. dozymare1957

Eva
    I was always in trouble in school for not practising my recorder. My parents absolutely refused to allow me to play in the house! We had science before music and I used to deliberately touch something hot so I'd have a burnt hand as an excuse for not playing the recorder in the music lesson.

16. dozymare1957

Neighbour has now been revving landrover for over an hour! Need Dinx's Glaswegian OH to politely ask him to desist (is that the right spelling?)

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Am I right in thinking you were hoping or planning to move Eva. These days you have to indicate on the endless form you get when moving, whether or not you have good relationships with neighbours. That doesn't solve your problem, but would you feel able to have a converstion about it with your neighbour.
    Our neighbours put their speakers against a party wall and although we couldn't hear music, there was a constant bass beat that was distracting. We felt able to have a word and they kindly moved them to another wall.

18. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Exactly what I was thinking!
    A friend of mine has a bagpipe playing neighbour - one of the reasons she's looking to move!

19. dozymare1957

Invite all the dog owning neighbours round for tea and cake tomorrow. Tell them it's a special tea party because you are going back to work on Monday.
    Hopefully the dogs will bark and they'll see what you have to put up with. Ask them sweetly if the dog barking gets on their nerves.
    Some time ago my neighbours had leylandii between our garden and theirs. We had absolutely no sunlight. There was a place between the actual houses where I could see them in their garden and speak to them. One day I said, "Oh your garden is lovely and sunny. We don't get any sun in ours". She replied that it was probably caused by the extension that we'd had built. I leant forward and looked at the sun shining on the trees and said in a very puzzled voice, "I don't think so. Look at the direction the sun is coming from. Your trees are bathed in sun. I think that's why there isn't any in my garden" Shortly afterwards the trees, which were taller than the houses, were cut down to six foot and a couple of years later removed completely and replaced by a fence.
    You might be lucky if you take the sweet and innocent route. I do hope so.