1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being Over Sensitive?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by littlewelshone, Mar 10, 2016.

1. littlewelshone

littlewelshone New commenter

Little bit of advice please....

Not sure if I am being over sensitive (it has been known!) here's the issue:

I have been in my current school for 4 years now and until recently been quite happy. I have recently moved house to another location for family reasons and now commute over an hour to my current school. As a consequence I have been looking for a new position closer to home. Recently I applied and was lucky enough to get an interview (thanks Theo!) but unfortunately was not appointed. Not sure if this was due to the fact I was the only teacher who was not an NQT, feedback was very sketchy, but that's a story for another day perhaps!

I have been open and honest with my head explaining why I am looking to move, and I am lucky they have been supportive of me. Here's the dilemma, we have had a very good trainee last year, and they has now returned back to the school as a cover supervisor. When I told my head although they were supportive in me attending the interview a comment was made that the cover supervisor could easily replace me. I would hope that I was not precious enough to think that the school would stop functioning just because I may leave but it still stung a little. Anyway swiftly moved on schools after all are a business and pupils need teaching.

I also have a whole school role responsibility working in a small team and more recently a member of staff has gained the same position, without an interview like the rest of us had to do, and will be joining the team. I now feel a little like I am being pushed out. Already they have lined someone up to replace my main teaching role and now my extra responsibility and I haven't even got another job yet!

Am I being over sensitive is it simply a case of 'well you're trying to leave and we have positions to fill'. I am trying not to take this personally but its quite tough and I feel even more pressure of trying to find another job.

Thoughts welcome

Thanks

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

a) you can see how much your head values you

b) you can see how much s/he values having a qualified member of staff teaching

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your head may just realise how very good you are and that you will almost certainly get another job. Therefore they are putting things in place now so as not to end up in a pickle in September.

Try not to assume the worst. It matters not, you'll be out of there soon enough anyway. :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You can't expect your manager to watch you attempt to leave and not think about what will happen when you do.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Perhaps, when you explained to your head why you were looking for a new job, they picked up that you were feeling a bit bad about abandoning the school. They might just be trying to say to you that it's fine to go for the new jobs, and that if you're still going for interviews up to the May deadline, not to worry that the school's not going to be able to replace you. If they're taking further steps to fill your roles, perhaps that tells you that they're confident that you're a strong enough teacher that you should be able to land a post nearer home.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. littlewelshone

littlewelshone New commenter

Thanks everyone that does make me feel a little better

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

To be absolutely honest, I think you are trying to have your cake and eat it! |You are explaining to your head the fact you want to move, the head has maybe tried putting you at ease by saying that if you go 'the school will cope.' I suppose in an ideal world the Head would have given some gushing comments about how the school will 'not be the same' etc with you gone but sometimes in the heat of the moment and under time pressures sentiments come out incorrectly and a sensitive person such as yourself will pick up on that and dwell on it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Zipphorah

Zipphorah New commenter

Presumably the cover supervisor you mention is actually a qualified teacher as she was a trainee last year?
    Yes- you're being over sensitive.

9. Bsprout

Bsprout New commenter

I would guess that the stress of having to leave and start somewhere else (however much more convenient it may be) is making you feel a bit sensitive. I echo what others have said, that the head probably realises that you will easily get another job, but he / she understands why you are leaving and wants you to know that there are no hard feelings. Whenever I have changed jobs I have found the transition period, when all your colleagues are planning ahead to the new term / year, really difficult because you are not part of that forward planning. Good luck with the job hunting.

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Essentially doing the job of a teacher for half the price then.