1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being on SLT has killed me

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by toastandtea, Dec 3, 2015.

1. toastandtea

toastandtea New commenter

Hi,
    Not necessarily looking for advice but need to get this off my chest.
    Prior to being on SLT I always felt like a confident teacher, outstanding in observations, good progress children made etc, and from reading other posts seems my story isn't too unusual, teachers promoted to SLT as a way of progressing career.
    However it has totally floored me. I feel there is absolutely no way I can make a mistake, that my ability to do my job is under threat. Since doing this job I have completely lost my confidence, any belief in my own abilities and honestly wonder whether teaching is for me any more. I'm leaving at the end of the term to start in a new school,. I'm hoping it'll be a good move but I worry that I've just lost it completely and am not able to teach any more. If so I'll find a new career completely.

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I have said this before but feel it's a point worth repeating: any school appointing a new member to SLT or middle management should have ongoing support and CPD with this in mind.

Any form of management comes absolutely littered with challenges and if you are fortunate enough to have hard working, committed and experienced staff then that's great but even then you carry the can for a lot!

In my first year of middle management I had a 'buddy' - an experienced HOD - and found this invaluable in accessing support.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I hope the move works for you. Is it non-SLT? I suspect some teachers are more cut-out for being rank-and-file teachers than SLT. Unfortunately, the downside is that SLT do sometimes seem to see the experienced classroom teacher as either too expensive or a threat to their authority. But I'm sure there are schools that value a good teacher who prefers to stay just that.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Absolutely there are.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Does this mean you have relinquished your SLT status and will be returning to the classroom in January? Could you have not stayed at your current school and done this?

6. toastandtea

toastandtea New commenter

Thanks for your comments.

Yes I will be returning to the classroom as a class teacher. I will be on the SLT at the new school but not as a deputy head.

Snowyhead to answer your question no I wouldn't have been able to do this in my current school. My school is part of a large group and there have been lots of changes in the last few years which have made the organisation impossible to work in. Too much politics, too many opinions, too big an organisation. I needed to get out to start afresh completely.

7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

How long was you a class teacher for before being promoted to SLT? Generally it takes on average around 7-8 years to 'step up' to the senior leadership team, that's of course if you are a Head of Department. You need the management experience in order to be successful; I'm not making a judgement on your capabilities, but management is not for everyone, even though it is the natural route for progression.
    Do what you enjoy best without any stress! :)

8. drek

drek Star commenter

you've made a positive move, to a new school. Put the difficult school experience behind you.
    It was a wise step to leave a situation where one is constantly sapped of confidence.
    Make a fresh start, don't advertise the fact you've stepped down to your new colleagues unless absolutely necessary, to lessen any bit of an itch factor, so you can enjoy teaching such as it has become over the last two years, well.....with the current monster of PRP hanging like the great big bad wolf, waiting for the next budget cut meeting!

Good luck and may your face fit the next school, and your salary suit the new school's budget, because sometimes that seems to be the only deciding factor.

These days, your teaching qualifications and experience can be made to fit around these things, when it comes to performance management whatever position you take.

Hope you get a decent school, not a 'good' or 'outstanding' one!

9. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Moving schools sounds like the best solution for you. Hope it works out!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Starting afresh sounds just right.

Not only do you escape from your current situation, but starting in a new school will give you initial support, as for any new appointment, while you actually have a background of SLT experience to ensure that you start off well.

My very best wishes

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Many years ago i rose to SLT in a primary school.It was pressured and demanding, but then we didnt have many of the demand present SLT positions want today.
    I found for myself that i left in the end because I am not a game player and too opinionated to be a team player( have been most of my life) but i did try to work with all those involved. For me the classroom was a better place where i could exert my independence till i met a head who disliked me and used competency to get me out and give me heart stress.Loved the kids and teaching but i can do without those who seem to care more for their view than what is good for the children.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Maybe fear of being criticised is the issue here but I'm not sure if you feel threatened by other senior staff and your head or by the staff you have seniority over. If it's the latter you will learn that as a senior member of staff you will always be criticised and that you are not perfect. You do not have to be perfect and when you make mistakes you have to move on. You will learn to do that. If it's your superior that you find threatening then you are definitely doing the right thing by moving on.

13. JamesH1lton

JamesH1lton New commenter

Starting a new school with a fresh start -sounds a good course of action to me .
    |I really hope it goes well for you.