1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being observed on weekly basis by SLT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by herbie53, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Hi
    We have just been told that SLT will be doing weekly observations on an 'informal' basis, every week from now on, in all teachers' classes. There will be one person coming in unannounced for 15 mins once a week into our classes. It could be anytime.
    I feel this is too much, as do my colleagues. Is it allowed?
    People in my school do not feel confident in saying anything to the head....
    I'd appreciate advice.
    thanks

2. What is the reason for this? Have they decided that the standards of teaching and learning is not good enough? There are other ways to improve this in a friendlier, more supportive manner.

3. I'm not sure that they should be doing this. Is there an agreed focus for the observations? Will there be feedback? See the nut website advice about classroom observations.

4. As devonsent suggests, your first step is to ask WHY?
    And however they try to word it, a 15 minute observation is NOT informal.
    I have to say, though, that my advice is to summon up confidence and address the Head. I've had to work for Heads that are nothing short of bullies - and standing up to them is the only way.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Do it in a staff meeting when you're all there.