1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being observed during paired activity for speaking and listening...

Discussion in 'English' started by blue_eyes777, Nov 3, 2015.

1. blue_eyes777

blue_eyes777 New commenter

Hi all.

I am being observed by SLT next week in the outgoing AQA speaking and listening 4700 for a weak Year 11 class.

They will be presenting their paired activity and our school is big on "active" lessons.

Does anybody have any idea how I could turn this into more of an active lesson i.e. by involving all the students whilst listening to each pair?

Thanks in advance!

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Ho Ho!
    Sounds just the sort of activity where they could all go off task. Could you do hot seating instead - where all students have to ask a question. Choose each student at random in order to keep them on their toes. Or role play involving quite a few students. I have done Jeremy Kyle, the Apprentice and Dragons' Den in the past which involves group work and usually keeps the others entertained.
    Speed dating is also a good idea. Keeps them moving, keeps them focussed, keeps them entertained. Tests their knowledge of a book which they are studying.
    Be prepared for those who don't want to speak in front of others.

3. blue_eyes777

Good advice, though it is going to have to be pairs/groups doing discussing and listening. Of course, it will look some will be off task because they will have to do some listening - but hey - what can I do?

4. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Get them to engage with pupil friendly criteria?
    Simplify the criteria, get each pair to give WWW & EBI (or whatever you school uses for feedback) comments for each pair that are presenting.
    Maybe a simple checklist for while they watch each presentation and then verbal feedback after each pair have presented their speech/discussion...?
    Just an idea...!

5. blue_eyes777

Excellent ideas! Thanks!

cate_h likes this.
  6. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hope the obs goes/went well :)