1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being observed By Senior Management...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Peckhamboy, Jan 23, 2012.

1. I have been teaching for 14 years and for 10 of these I have been an AST. I am being observed by the Head Teacher and Head of Key Satge Three later this week with a lower ability year nine group. These observations form part of the school's regular observation cycle and count for our Performance Management.
    My dilemma is that the class has said that the Key Stage Three leader can not control their behaviour, so instead of the timetabled subject they are meant to be taught, they do a different subject. Their formtutor (who's also my Head of Faculty) has confirmed that the pupils have got it right.
    As this person is going to judge my teaching I am worried that I am going to find it increasingly hard to listen to them knowing that they themselves can not teach the class. Any advice please?

2. Is it possible that the head and HoKS are observing you to demonstrate good practice for the HoKS? It could be more of a CPD for him/her than you.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

While I agree with cg82 that that might be the case, the real purpose of the observation should be made clear to you: is it your performance management or is it to help someone else? If it's the first, you should insist that it conforms to the school's policy on the subject which in turns has to be legal. If it's the second, they ought to ask your permission first. After all, why should you accept into your classroom someone who is apparently not coping but equally apparently sitting in judgement of you?

4. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

If you are an AST then you should know better than to assume because someone can't control a group that they can't observe a lesson and see what is going on. If fact that situation may mean you get an even better lesson observation, assuming of course you can get the group working.

5. Thank you all for your comments, it's tomorrow morning so we'll see what happens......

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Have fun!

7. ..and if it goes pear shaped log your concerns in writing. don;t hesitate to draw attention to the limitations of one of the observers, keep a copy for your trade union rep if need be.
    better to register concerns beforehand than after!

8. Thank you some really good advice magenentius.
    The head of key stage 3 simply commented on the proforma (as two days on have not received verbal feedback) said 'if money were no object' colour code pupils sheet to corrospnd to resouces!
    The other SLT said that if I was explaining to a small group of pupils I should stop all to explain to all.....but the others were on a totally different question task to the little group and would not have had a clue what I was talking about.....someone once told me 'sometimes it's just got to be enough to know you're right'. So, as hard as it is for me to do, I smiled and said thank you.