1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being moved

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DA1, Apr 29, 2011.

1. DA1

DA1

Feeling really down because I've just been told i'm being kept in my year group whilst the other two teachers, who i love and have a very strong bond with, are being moved out. Really gutted. Anyone else had the same problem?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Perhaps that's the reason ....

3. DA1

DA1

That is what everyone thinks. Why do people have to break up what's good, it's common knowledge that our year group gets on the best.

4. harsh-but-fair

'Getting on with' and having a non-professional level of involvement are two different things.

5. DA1

DA1

Ha, you've got the wring end of the stick! They are both 30 years older than me and the same sex!

6. harsh-but-fair

I wasn't implying any sexual involvement, although the fact they are older than you hardly means it's an impossibility!

7. DA1

DA1

They are both married with children too.

I feel so sad that a team that works so well together is being split up, we all get on so well and do a good job together.

8. Maybe it is a compliment that you are being asked to work with new colleagues in order to share the good practice?

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Perhaps the HT is trying to spread good practice and propagate it in other year groups on the school.
    Why have one good year group when, by planting good practice in other year groups, you could have several?

10. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I got moved from my good friend and colleague at Christmas so that I could work in KS2. This was for the benefit of the children and I could see that. The children are more important than cosy working relationships. Having said that, I'm not as close to my colleague as I was although my replacement seems to be!! :)

11. Grandsire

Grandsire Occasional commenter

"Cosy working relationships" - and like-mindedness between colleagues have many benefits for the pupils. Aside from the obvious educational benefits of having a strong team, the general air of friendship, humour and goodwill amongst a group of adults in a school is important for pupils who may not experience this in their homelife.
    However, for some reason, the new management seem to find the good humour, team-spirit and confidence in our school threatening, and have taken a "divide and conquer" approach. Whole-school staff meetings are pretty much a thing of the past, and any light-hearted comments in the smaller meetings are labelled as disruptive behaviour or time-wasting. Opportunities to share ideas and support each other are now few and far between. We have even been discouraged from meeting all together without members of the management being present. Needless to say, they also think it's important to keep moving staff around the school so none of us feel too settled.
    Happy days...[​IMG]

12. I know exactly how you feel. I used to work for an inspirational HT who used to give us a chance to say what year group we worked with each year - not a guarantee you would get that year group - and I always said I didn't mind it was WHO I worked with that mattered!
    Working with colleagues with who I have rapport has always benefited me and consequently the children in my class!
    Pat

13. What would you say to a child who didn't want to work with someone else or a group who didn't want another child joining them ?
    How would you respond to a new member of staff joining the school and was put to work with you and one of your group as the other had left.
    Surely we are employed to teach any of the children in our school and work with any other teachers ?
    While it is useful to get on with our fellow teachers we don't have to like the people we work with, just get on with the job in hand.

14. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I would say that it is more than useful. I am working in a year group of 3, one of whom I work really well with and the other who I do not click with at all. Despite being professional and getting on with it, it is making this year almost unbearable. I think good working relationships have a big impact.

15. Much as you want staff to be happy and yes that can benefit children i do think teachers need to remember they are paid to work for benefit of children and its not about the adults friendships. Schools can not be organised to enable people to work with those they like best.

16. Some head teachers hate to see people getting on with colleagues and do everything to prevent it - friendship is very important in teaching. some people dont understand that friends can be professional too. I am being moved out of a successful team in september to work with a colleague who is facing capabilities. although i am happy to support - i am reluctant to leave my friend and the support we give each other.
    you have every right to feel miserable.