1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being made to run an afterschool "club"

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mmaths, May 16, 2020.

1. mmaths

mmaths New commenter

Hi,

I am being "asked" to run an afterschool club next year. It will run afterschool for an hour and I will be teaching the AQA Level 2 Further Maths award. This comes with being pressured to do prepare out of class materials, plan the lessons, mark mocks, and ultimately get them through a qualification.

I have asked them to timetable this as a lesson but they claim it is too difficult to do. Do I have any basis to refuse to do this? I would be happy if this were a class and not a club, but the school seem to want to give me a full teaching timetable in addition to this.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

So you are being asked to work for free?
    I might 'develop some activity' I did outside of work which means I have to leave e.g. Private tutoring. Then I'd say but of course if I was to be paid for the "club" then I'd be able to give up the private tutoring and do the club instead but at the moment I need the income from the private tutoring.

It's a bloody cheek and if you go ahead and agree you will feel resentful and put on. I look back over my career and I did far too much work for free and regret it.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Just say no thanks.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

100% agree with posts 2 & 3. Agree, and you'll regret it.

NB A' course' (as this clearly is) isn't a club!

5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Point out that although it would be difficult to add the class to your timetable, they could remove another from it allowing you to balance your prep time . I sympathise with you and find it dreadful that in these times there are people who wish to add to someone else's stress. " Next year" is a fine phrase to use. We don't even know what next month looks like. Why not agree and watch as the best laid plans of mice and men..........

6. madcatlady

madcatlady Occasional commenter

Say no.

One year I did an after-school exam "class" that was scheduled as a class but didn't fit on the tt so was put after school. I was given time off in the day in lieu.

Issues:

Students attendance was very patchy - they just found excuses not to come. It doesn't look like a proper lesson because it's not valued enough to go on the tt. Kids treated it as optional. This will be stressful if you are expected to get results.

I put a lot of pressure on myself to make it fun because the kids were not really obliged to come. I felt I owed it to them to make it amazing and lost sight of the value of real teaching.

I found that time off in the day is not the same as being able to finish your teaching at 3:30 and move on to quieter and potentially less draining activities like marking and planning etc

7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

We had what was euphemistically called 'Third Session', which was an extra two, hour-long lessons, added onto the school day. Initially, this was done when our school joined a Sixth Form consortium but it became the norm for KS 4, single-subject GCSEs that did not fit on the timetable. The whole idea was entirely counter-productive as both students and teachers were exhausted by 5 - 5:30. Teaching seven hours per day for two or three days on the trot is murderous! Since absenteeism by students was the norm, you had to keep repeating lessons.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

They should give you an extra non-contact in your regular timetable, or offer you payment.

It could be a very enjoyable session with the keenest and ablest mathematicians.

9. WB

WB Lead commenter

You could ask to see the school's Directed Time Policy which should clearly state which hours you can be expected to work. If this "club" is not covered somewhere in the 1265 hours they cannot force you to do it.

Schools don't have unlimited powers over teachers; they have to work within employment law and the Directed Time Policy forms part of that.

However, I am well aware that asking to see the Directed Time policy and then refusing to work this hour can be high risk. You might win the battle but lose the war.

10. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice New commenter

It’s difficult to comment without knowing the full details here, but it is clear that no one is being asked to work for ‘free’. Teaching is not an hourly paid role- headteachers are quite entitled to ask staff to run after school provision.

Remember staff are obliged to complete ‘all reasonable duties at the instruction of the headteacher’.

11. WB

WB Lead commenter

If headteachers ask for staff to run after school provision, should those hours be be allocated from Directed Time?

Are headteachers allowed to ask for more than 1265 hours of directed time?

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask, yes. Insist, no.
    Adding extra lessons after school is not reasonable.

13. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

It's GreenTrees/CalF - just ignore him and he goes away for a few months and makes a new account.

14. averagedan

As to your question more detail is needed, are you over/under timetabled, some schools have extra periods afterschool taught by HoDs/HoFs, etc. You need to chat to your union rep at the school.

15. Morgelyn

Morgelyn New commenter

Ha! My thoughts exactly! At least he didn’t start with ‘I am a headteacher...’
    I wonder how his teachers can run extra lessons after school. Aren’t they cleaning or manning reception?

16. averagedan

The best one was where he claimed to have them cooking and had no idea about the laws involving food preparation, insurance, etc.

Marisha, ridleyrumpus, IanG and 3 others like this.
  17. mmaths

mmaths New commenter

Thanks. At this point I only know what the teacher who ran it this year had. They had a full teaching time table and they disaggregated staff training days to get the staff member to teach the course. They didn't have any materials or SoW, they had to organise the mock, issue reports, write references liase with the exams officier to enter students for the exam, and were highly "encouraged" to run revision sessions for it.

18. mmaths

mmaths New commenter

I am out of the loop. Who is GreenTrees/CalF?

19. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Depends what day of the week it is...

20. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

Go away troll

Marisha, chelsea2, IanG and 1 other person like this.