1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being made redundant?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mancminx, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

My job has changed this year, I'm now a management and PPA cover teacher. I dont know if our school really has the budget to keep an 'extra' teacher next year so I guess I could be for the chop. I do feel that im being 'elbowed out'. Im on mainscale 6 so im quite costly.
    How easy is it for the school to get rid of me? My current position came up do a maternity returner and the chap brought in to cover the original cover being kept on!
    Thanks

2. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

My job has changed this year, I'm now a management and PPA cover teacher. I dont know if our school really has the budget to keep an 'extra' teacher next year so I guess I could be for the chop. I do feel that im being 'elbowed out'. Im on mainscale 6 so im quite costly.
    How easy is it for the school to get rid of me? My current position came up do a maternity returner and the chap brought in to cover the original cover being kept on!
    Thanks

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Cold comfort here unfortunately. I lost my post when they 'restructured' ppa. management cover and put TAs in instead. It started slowly with a new Job Description suddenly stating we were working from a 'published scheme of work'. Then the TAs were asked if they would be prepared to do class cover and more hours. Only at the end when all was in place was the final blow delivered. It was the lousiest experience imaginable, particularly when one of the TAs had been my class TA when I was full time class teacher.
    I contacted the union and there was nothing I could do, 2 of us lost our jobs. It became order of the day in my LA with a number of schools going down the same path.
    Ironically, 2 years later it proved to be such a dismal failure they brought the role back, too late for me though

4. becky70

becky70 New commenter

Talk to your union about this now if you are concerned. I'm not sure whether the person doing the management/PPA cover will necessarily be the one to go as roles can be shuffled - e.g. they could make a Year 5 teacher redundant and ask you to teach the Year 5 class.
    I've done your job but on a temp contract so would definitely have been out if the school couldn't afford it but your situation is different.

5. Redundancy has to be dealt with according to set procedures. The head will first have to notify publicly the intention to review staffing levels, and then "consult" with potential pools of those who may be targeted. This consultation may be nothing more than a letter quietly put on a noticeboard. Volunteers will be sought, and if none are forthcoming, involuntary redundancy may follow. The general rule is that a skills audit is applied and if there are several at risk, they usually invoke "last in first out". Check with your union office - don't rely on the school rep. Redundancy should not be - but sometimes is - capricious or arbitrary