1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being made redundant whilst on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by amylou19k, Mar 5, 2018.

1. amylou19k

amylou19k New commenter

Hi,

I’m currently on maternity leave after having my baby in December. In January I was notified that the school is cutting my role as a music teacher as of 31st Aug 2018.

I am still due my SMP at the end of September, what will happen to that payment if I am no longer employed by the school at that time?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You still get it - there should be no problem, but it may be worth sending whoever deals with payroll an e-mail asking them to confirm that the date of your last SMP payment is in September, just to make sure they're on the case!

If you haven't already, do talk to your union about the redundancy. There is some protection for people on maternity leave when there are redundancies: you should get them to check that redundancy criteria have been applied fairly. You are also entitled to be offered any suitable alternative vacancy, so if you were willing to teach something other than music, that needs to be considered.

install and peapicker like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There are strict rules to protect women on maternity leave from being made redundant. You can be but the school has to meet a lot of criteria first. Consult your union asap. Search for 'maternity leave redundancy', there should be plenty of sites explaining the general rules.