1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being Let go - International School

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Oldgit61, Jun 13, 2011.

1. You are not in the UK where having a few problems guarantees a golden sick note from the state. They need teachers who can turn up and work and they probably can't afford you anymore as you can do neither and they need to pay someone else to do your work for you.
    They are also probably fagged off with having to organise the whole school around your particular needs.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

My guess is that the school have decided that they cannot sustain the instability of ongoing medical problems causing you to be out of work. The same would occur in the business environment. They have shown support by allowing you half a term off sick in the first instance. My advice is to get yourself well before seeking any further employment, and if that means returning to the UK so be it.

3. You say you've been there for two years. In my experience many international schools employ staff initially on a two year contract. Is it the case that they're simply not renewing your contract? I'd check this before spendinganything on a solicitor.

Also hope you feel better soon, 'abroad' isn't the best place to be when stuff like this happens.

4. Hi qwertygertie
    My contract was a perminant one without a time limit, it was very similar to the one that i had when working in the UK.
    I know that the school is a business being a private school and the only reason i was off owrk the time i was is that the Dr at the hospital i was taken to by the school nurse signed me off and I was told by the school not to go in until the dr said it was ok. In total I was off for 5 weeks and sorted out cover for all my classes and the PSHE classes I didn't teach (i was PSHE coordinator - unpaid) for the time i was off. Since i went back i have taught all the lessons on my timetable and done all but one of the duties i am expected to. the one i missed was due to supporting a student just about to sit an exam and we lost track of the time. In the time i have been back at school the HT has not said a single word to me and the provisions put in place for my phased return and the ley way for my therapy were suggested by the school not me. I just wanted to get back to work and not mess the school around.
    Apprenetly I did anyway.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would, for your own peace of mind, write or phone to ask for clarification. To be fair, you may nto have realised how the culmination of events did 'mess the school around' - and if that is the case, then take it on the chin as a learning experience. More importantly, get yourself sorted and fully well.

6. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

That in and of itself strikes me as very odd. Virtually all (no, actually all) international schools in my experience have a one or two year contract term (especially with new teachers). Obviously that's only the ones I have had some knowledge of, but that also covers a large number of schools that have their contract lengths etc entered into a recruiting agency's data base.
    In any case, yes, as posters have said, international schools are generally not required to follow any labor laws beyond those of the host country. Being let go from anything or anyone is never a good experience, especially when you are still not healthy. I hope that you find a place and time to get your health back before you are forced to take on any further career challenges.
    As an aside, coming from the US, I was initially very surprised to read about the lengthy paid time off for stress etc that UK teachers are entitled to claim. Those kind of benefits would be impossible to claim in the US (I'm certainly not saying that's necessarily a good thing, BTW).

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I think this very much depends upon the kind of school it is. Within Western Europe, where schools are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of nationality or race, permanent contracts are offered, subject to normal probationary periods. My last school and my current school converted my contract ( and the contracts of all employess hired at the same time ) to permanent contracts once the probationary period had been successfully passed.
    Two people were given 6 months notice that their contracts would not be made permanent and one was told that she would be given a second chance on probation.

8. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

RG - I remember fromyour thread over on the health forum that you went back to the UK during your sick leave? Did you get permission from your employer to doi this and if- not could they have found out?

I remembered that I had read somewhere on an expat news site that there wasa sickleave reform in Luxembourg last year which means that you are not allowed to leave the house for the first 5 days of sick leave unless attending medical appointments - and that from day 6 you can leave the house during the day either between 10-12 OR 2-6 - but cannotgoout in the evenings

http://hello.news352.lu/edito-73643-luxembourg-sick-workers-to-be-house-bound-for-five-days.html

You also posted a thread on the health forum about teaching the wrong syllabus/case studies and complaints from parents about your teaching - could this be why they have let you go???

I have been following all of your threads on the health forum and It's clear that you have a lot of health problems and have been struggling to cope in recent months - perhaps the school feel that they have given you all the support they can -I hope that you can get some treatment and soon feel better

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Interesting. That would make sense, since Western Europe is one of the few areas that I haven't seriously explored for job opportunities (for financial and personal reasons). Although there was a school or two in Switzerland that caught my eye when they were advertising for learning support positions (due to the relatively generous package and reasonably resourced SEN programs).