1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Being kept in a yr group I really dont want to be in-what would you do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, May 18, 2011.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Any advice or comments appreciated. Work in a tiny small which next yr is going down to 3 classes. Am KS1 trained and have spent 12/13 years in that KS. Last yr I agreed to help out the school and moved from YR to Y5/6-HT then left this year. Basically was told that would probably be being kept in the same yr group except next yr it might be Y4/5/6 with a high % of SEN children. I feel totally deflated about this as wish to go back to yr 2/3 which the other class is. Had a long chat with the HT and he said he would consult the DHT and the Chair of Govs. Next yr is Ofsted and the LEA is over all like a rash at the moment. I am not a ks2 teacher, have no desire to be either. Have only got half decent monitoring grades this year due to hours and hours of hard work and research. Basically fear the worst with an ofsted visit in terms of observations. If you felt that strongly about it would you quit rather than go through another yr of toil and 60 hr weeks in a yr group which you werent comfortable in?

2. The Red Heron

Any advice or comments appreciated. Work in a tiny small which next yr is going down to 3 classes. Am KS1 trained and have spent 12/13 years in that KS. Last yr I agreed to help out the school and moved from YR to Y5/6-HT then left this year. Basically was told that would probably be being kept in the same yr group except next yr it might be Y4/5/6 with a high % of SEN children. I feel totally deflated about this as wish to go back to yr 2/3 which the other class is. Had a long chat with the HT and he said he would consult the DHT and the Chair of Govs. Next yr is Ofsted and the LEA is over all like a rash at the moment. I am not a ks2 teacher, have no desire to be either. Have only got half decent monitoring grades this year due to hours and hours of hard work and research. Basically fear the worst with an ofsted visit in terms of observations. If you felt that strongly about it would you quit rather than go through another yr of toil and 60 hr weeks in a yr group which you werent comfortable in?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd certainly look around and go if something took my fancy that is for sure. I'd not quit a job with nothing to go to again though.

4. The Red Heron

thanks for your reply. In terms of supply, I have a lot of contacts with HTs through friends and my partner and past experiences so it doesnt worry me about not filling the days. I have done it before for a term and worked everyday apart from 3 days-just dont get paid for the hols.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But it is also harder to get back into a post...that would be my main reason for not doing it again.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree with minnieminx that it makes getting a permanent post much harder & despite what yoy say about "a lot of contacts with HTs through friends and my partner and past experiences so it doesnt worry me about not filling the days.", there may simply not be the work available, many schools now use TA/ HLTA in Primaries & CS in Secondaries these days -the whole supply situation has changed drastically the past few years.

7. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

Personally speaking, I'd leave and take my chances elsewhere. I've had the experience of being 'stuck' with an undesired class which caused me great anxiety and misery every day just trying to keep up to speed with everything. I used to crash out when I got in from school and then eat and carry on working til past midnight some days. My family never saw me and I look back on those days with great regret. I'd never do it again. No job is worth ruining your life for. Use your contacts now to see if you can source work independently. Supply through a friendly HT is better paid as you get holidays and sickness covered but you have to do the form filling and new CRB first. Joining agencies is a good idea as they can also offer short/long term contracts apart from day to day but all this depends on where you are and how much work is available. You've done your bit for the school - leave on a high - don't risk regretting staying or getting slated by Ofsted which would hamper your chances of a new job even more than being on supply for a while!

8. The Red Heron

Many thanks for all your advice, really appreciate anyone who takes the time to post.
    Having had a few days to think about it suppose I am considering the fact:
    I am relatively well paid on UPS2, daily commute 15 mins and nice little village school, which is what I always wanted. Other members of my family currently unemployed and totally on breadline-dont really know how Id look them in the eye and tell them Ive chucked a 35k a year job because im in the wrong yr group...however
    The fact remains, the school are not seemingly willing to bend on this, seem certain to kp me in Y4/5/6 mix which I can only see as a nightmare to plan and teach for
    Ofsted in next yr certainly
    LEA monitoring like hell (20 days 'support' planned)-and I just feel so under confident that I want to or can get 'good' grades with a yr group I simply know little about.
    And....Im sorry if this seems unprofessional but all that marking in upper KS2 does my head completely in-they could 'support' me but I honestly dont want to learn about it as I will never ever apply for a KS2 job in another school.
    HT tells me tomorrow, but I think they wont change their mind as Chair of Govs as good as told me so, beacuse my other colleague is struggling with her teaching they want 'the better teacher in the most important year groups)-which I actually disagree with anyway! As surely if you get it right in yrs 1,2,3-the KS2 results take care of themselves
    Still totally undecided but agree with Chrsys point entirely and that is why I quit my last school due to working 60 hrs a week in an environment which was made up of 12 workaholics

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I honestly think, if I was you, I would not hand my notice in, but start actively looking for a KS1 post for January. It is a nightmare to get a permanent post on UPS2, I know I was in that position a couple of years ago. You are in a much better position if you are already in a post.

However if you can afford to earn about 2/3 of what you do now for the next 2-3 years (maybe much longer), then it might be worth risking doing supply and taking your chances.

You might be very lucky and get a lovely KS1 post in September, but you might never get one again.
    You might be the one supply teacher all the village schools near you use, but if they only need you for 5-10 days a term, then it won't amount to much work.
    Really, really think carefully about this. My advice to anyone on UPS would be to stay in the hated post and actively look for another.

10. The Red Heron

Thanks Minnieminx, sound advice I know...my partner (who is also a teacher )is absolutely furious about it as she can see the strain it puts me under at observation times etc and theres been a lot of those this year (7) and is sure to be a lot next yr as our sch struggles on. there is no planning at all, and that really hacks me off, if there was it would be slightly easier to stay but every week we start with a blank grid. (could I subscribe to somewhere to get mixed yr plans???)
    Of course it not just the Maths/Eng but everything DT/ICT/Art/Music-sometimes its like doing a completely different job-just so much more at home in KS1.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm hoping to move to KS1 next year, so am comforted to hear the workload is easier! LOL

Hamilton Trust do mixed year plans and are fairly cheap to subscribe to.
    Bedfordshire LA (they are split in 2 now, so you'll have to scrabble about a bit) have mixed year maths plans, which are excellent. Don't forget that next year you will have what you have done this year as a starting point.

There is a mixed year forum on here somewhere, but I'm not sure how busy it is. However some people there ought to be able to help you. Is there another village school near you that you can visit and team up with their KS2 teacher? You could then split the planning between you the way year teams do in larger schools.

Small village schools are lovely to work in, in terms of attainment and behaviour and community and all that, but much harder in terms of workload.

12. The Red Heron

yes just had a look, think h t is £2-so nothing and Bedfordshire had the most comprehensive set of zipped folders with everything in per block eg more able challenges, ITPs, IT links-so pretty good. Getting a new HT so if I do stay just hope that they have a bit of common sense and see these plans as a starting point as I will be using them. Planning should not be taking hours and hours in this day of internet information
    I havent got much enthusiasm for next year which is a great shame for all involved

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A new HT sounds positive though. You never know, they might come from a school with mixed years and be able to give you a whole lot of plans or send you off to pal up.
    They may also be happy with the plans to be in any format, so all you need to do is a spot of printing out and scribbling. Our HT wants to see full on individual super duper lesson plans for observation lessons, but has never seen any other plan for any teacher in our school since he has been there. Your new one might be the same, giving you the freedom to just wing it on the odd Thursday afternoon when things are tough. (Or of course write them in retrospect in the holidays!)
    You do sound like you have just had enough and are exhausted, so unable to see past tomorrow let alone think coherently about next year. But things are changing for you, a new head, especially in a small school, can make a massive difference.

Unless you are willing to risk the possibility of never again having a permanent post due to being out of work and expensive, (there are people on UPS on the supply and jobseekers forum who did what you are planning and have been doing supply and actively hunting for close on 10 years) then you do need to try to stick it out while you look for a KS1 post.

14. The Red Heron

I realise its a tricky one for all concerned, as a supply colleague commented though today another yr in the wrong yr group could have disastarous consequences for any future job applications. eg going for a KS1 job, but spent the last two years in Y5/6-if I was a HT I wouldnt give me the job either, esp if there were candidates there who had had upto date KS1 experience

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree, which is why you won't want to be staying a whole year. Get looking and applying for January start.

16. Don't worry about the mixture of experience. I've just got a KS2 job after spending 2 years teaching reception. It took a while to get the right job but got plenty of interview practise along the way! You can sell the KS2 time as valuable experience knowing where the children need to get to will help you teach the younger children.