1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Being invited for Kaffee und Kuchen...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Feb 4, 2011.

1. this really belongs on Personal, but you are all so much nicer...
    My son has invited me tomorrow to Kaffee und Kuchen (as daughter is elsewhere and we are having a Mum (try not to gluck gluck) and son (try not to be cool cool) weekend).
    The thing is...he has just mentioned that he has no pocket money left and whether I could lend him the money to take me out?
    Ah, shucks.
    I suppose you grit your teeth and think "the thought counts"?

2. this really belongs on Personal, but you are all so much nicer...
    My son has invited me tomorrow to Kaffee und Kuchen (as daughter is elsewhere and we are having a Mum (try not to gluck gluck) and son (try not to be cool cool) weekend).
    The thing is...he has just mentioned that he has no pocket money left and whether I could lend him the money to take me out?
    Ah, shucks.
    I suppose you grit your teeth and think "the thought counts"?

3. I think that's a lovely way for you to spend some mum/son time [​IMG]

4. Yes, he is 11.
    I am also dreading the teenage years. At the moment, he is "cool" but when nobody is looking, he is still my wee boy and will crawl into bed for a cuddle.
    Those days are numbered.
    Sob!

5. Still, when those teen years are over things can be fun again. Just before her 18th birthday our youngest made a demand on family activities.
    Once she was of legal drinking age she wanted the whole family to go on a wine-tasting trip to the Barossa Valley. She'd had to stay out of the tasting bars when she was younger, but she'd loved the picnics and the travelling around and the German bakeries.
    She just wanted to 're-do' something as a fully fledged adult that had been restricted for her as a child/ teen. And we did.

6. ah, reassuring!

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The lovely thing about your kids taking you out is you get to lecture to them about drinking and driving and they give you a lift home. It's an expensive taxi mind, when you consider how much you'd invested to get there but nice all the same.
    My daughter visited a few weeks ago and took us out to lunch. I was embarrassed at what it cost her, albeit I paid for all our drinks. Something inside me said I ought to pay for the lot but she was adamant it the food was on her.
    I doubt she'll amount to much if she can't recognise a succer when she sees one.

8. I live on the other side of Australia to my mother. In my student and early in my career I enjoyed, my parents visiting and paying to go out to dinner etc. Now in my early thirties, I love being able to pay for my parents when we go out, especially my mother. For me it is about feeling wealthy and grown up enough to be able to afford it. I still love it when they treat me but I can do it too.
    CQ I think it is all about the thought that counts. Until your son has a job you will still essentially be paying for it anyway. I think you enjoy the fact that he wants to spend this time with you and more importantly to plan to spend this time with you. Enjoy and Smile broadly![​IMG]

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

At least it's your son and just coffee & cake.
    I was thrilled when my husband bought me a very expensive Christmas present. Thing is, he is now skint and I am going to have to stump up very close to the value of his Christmas present so he can have his car serviced [​IMG]

10. Oh dear! I guess that is called "sharing" [​IMG]
    Our plans have been adapted - he has now "invited" me out for a chinese meal this evening and Kaffee und Kuchen tomorrow and has borrowed € 6 from his Dad which he used to go off and buy us some savoury nibbles when he got off the tram (stuffed pepperonis, feta cheese which he is going to dribble with oil and spices and a flatbread (not sure how I will manage all that after a chinese)) for this evening when we get home and watch a film. Bless him - and God help his future wife, lol.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

... as does my 14-year-old!! Long may it last [​IMG]