1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being ill on supply.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Supplygirl111, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

Hi,
    I woke up with a stomach bug after being in different schools for 2 weeks (i have had quite regular work) (usual protocall for illness in schools in my area is 2 days off so i didnt want to look awful showing up and spreading my illness to the children and staff so at 8am after no call decided to put myself as unavailble).
    I rang agency to let them know I was ill (I rang because i'm on a guaranteed 3 day pay scheme - i have worked 4 days this week - one day being TA and one day being an afternoon - the other 2 days were full days).

During the call I was asked if i definitely couldnt do a TA shift today, I said no as I felt absolutely rotten.
    I then got a call asking if i can do an afternoon in a school - I said no again as i have a bug.

The only problem is, this school who needed someone this afternoon, is the school i have been booked in for starting after half term for every wednesday up until christmas. My first time in the school would be the Thuraday after half term and this is when the school would be assessing whether i was suitable for the long-term up until christmas.

My worry is now someone else is going to go in this afternoon and they will get the long-term up until christmas and the agency will cancel me.
    I just thought, I dont want to spread my bug around the school. I'm really gutted now :(
    But i suppose if i wouldve took the last minute TA, i wouldnt have heard of the afternoon shift today anyway

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's the real problem of being ill on supply isn't it.

agathamorse, pepper5 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If this happens it will be yet another chance to asses how ruthless agencies are when it comes to sticking to their word. when it comes to knowing how to pay your bills.
    Many people on supply, having suffered such ruthlessness multipletimes will use that knowledge to improve their situation somehow eg look for a "nicer" agency, only accept long term supply, or go for a permanent.

If there's any consolation-should the role go to somebody else at least you know it is because they happened to be there when you couldn't, rather than the slightly nastier reason of the school requesting somebody else but not telling you why.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One think I realized quite quickly on supply is just how ruthless it can be,

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

Hopefully this has been resolved by now, or will be very shortly. Whilst supply can be ruthless, that can also make agencies and schools more accommodating. They know people get sick and unless it's a regular thing they tend not to hold it against you. Agencies are thick skinned, they have to be, and they do keep asking us to work when we've said no. If you do miss out on a job, another one is likely to come up at this time of year. Good luck!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I hope that you are better now Supergirl, I have struggled into schools with a fever and almost dying, because money is money, I have to be serious poor to avoid missing work, because if we don't work, we don't earn.

BertieBassett2 and agathamorse like this.