1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being Ignored.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Is it me or is this on the increase and has become acceptable?
    Example .I have been to a small school where I worked for several weeks. Obviously I got to know staff and shared the odd coffee/chat.
    As I sat outside the office with a few children who had various minor bumps,staff walked by and cooed to the children, ignoring me.
    Stressed,tired,fed up maybe but a quick nod and Hello would be enough.

2. Is it me or is this on the increase and has become acceptable?
    Example .I have been to a small school where I worked for several weeks. Obviously I got to know staff and shared the odd coffee/chat.
    As I sat outside the office with a few children who had various minor bumps,staff walked by and cooed to the children, ignoring me.
    Stressed,tired,fed up maybe but a quick nod and Hello would be enough.

3. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

*stares out the window looks at the ledge*

Oh sorry did you say something?

Also I agree increasingly people are starting to ignore others and stay inside their own little bubble (and I am not just refering to teaching).

4. oh ha ha Rob!. I don't mean necessarily staying in a bubble more just times when a hello would be expected and people just blank you.
    It's hilarious really considering all that stuff about SEAL and self esteem.

5. I've just realised today that you can get through a day (in a school where you have worked for years and know everyone) with no one really talking to you. We are all too wrapped up in ourselves these days. I include myself. Quite lonely though.

6. No its not just you.

7. I think schools can be remarkably lonely places. You spend all day long with children, you're talking to them, but not really conversing with them. You're lucky to get a break or lunch time and it's very easy to get to the end of the day not having a proper conversation with anybody.
    (Got into a real pickle with my grammar there - does that last sentence make sense?)

8. I always try to make it to the staffroom at morning break - otherwise, you end up, as egg says, in a bit of a bubble.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've already related this in another thread, but the other day I was sitting in a staffroom where I was working supply, and the only other person in the room (a full-time member of staff) answered the phone with "No, there's nobody here". Damn my cloak of random invisibility!

I've worked in another school where the staffroom at lunchtime is consistently empty, apart from supply staff and the occasional passing tumbleweed. That's a sign of people being worked too hard. Very sad.

10. Or a large site and small breaks?!
    (Equally sad, though).

11. This is our problem. The children never get out to playtime on time, so that knocks at least 5 minutes off break. By the time you actually trek round to the staffroom you don't even have time to pour a glass of water...let alone drink it!
    I was quite sad to realise today that I had spent 10 hours in school today without any sort of adult conversation!

12. So everyone needs to make sure that tomorrow they start a random conversation with someone in the corridor / in the staffroom etc. Something beyond basic small talk.

13. Yes, my big gripe is my classroom is miles from the toilet so by the time I have had a wee break is over.
    (I am sure you all wanted to know that!)

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

one great problem of our souped up system......breaks to short.!% min n mine...and dinners busy spent working so you dont have to take work home.......or because of some ar*hole children.
    Random converstaions seem to be about kids or the head telling you the next thing he/she wants.

15. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Oh dear, think this is what we have got to come when we close. We are a very social staff and all the teachers end up in the staff room at some point over lunch. (It is only 40 mins too) We are closing soon and I think quite a few of us will really miss this. We have had 'taster' days in local first/primary schools and have experienced the empty staff rooms. Very Sad!

16. henriette

henriette New commenter

Message to all supply teachers (I used to be one myself!): come and do a day at my school!
    We'll draw you into any staffroom conversation you want - of the new starters in September, 3 were people who had previously supplied for us!
    I'm currently trying to persuade SLT that they have a permanent position for a fab guy who has done a number of days recently!!

17. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Our central staffroom is always dead at lunchtime. There are about 80 teaching staff and many more non-teaching staff in the school, yet the staffroom is used only by people coming to use the microwave to heat their lunch (then leaving) and by a handful of office staff who eat their lunch there.
    So unused is our staffroom that, a couple of years ago, the reprographics room was turned into an office to accommodate a new deputy head, and a section of the staffroom has been enclosed by stud walls to make a new reprographics room. I'd say about a third of the staffroom has been taken up.
    Instead, everyone eats lunch either in their classrooms, or in their department staff office/base. We have a very large department and we mostly do sit together for lunch and chat - we do have a good time at lunchtime. I don't always stick around for the full hour; I usually eat my lunch for say 20 minutes then go and try to get some work done in the remainder of the time.

18. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Get yourself a stadium pal/gal...
    This would save you the walk and has the added benefit that it keeps your legs warm.

19. You mean somewhere there really is a school that still does that?!
    I thought hour-long lunches in education were long gone.