1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being forced out of an academy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Mr_GB, Dec 19, 2011.

1. I am making this enquiry to the knowledgeable members on behalf of a friend who is reluctant to fight her corner.

Situation: Teacher within a village school would like to further their career with a TLR post. Having indicated this to the head teacher she is informed that this is not possible within the school. Teacher then starts the process of searching out and applying for appropriate vacancies with the heads approval.

School year starts and the village school becomes an academy. Teacher has made a number of applications and has some interviews without success. Meanwhile she is covering maternity in a class for the 1st half term.

Half term comes and goes and original class teacher returns from maternity part time, so now my friend has to settle for working 2 days per week in one class and covering 2 other teachers PPA and other what I would call 'TA' style duties.

She does as instructed without argument and performs her duties to her usual standard. Then comes the performance review meeting. At this meeting she is told that she is not working as part of the team and needs to work on her relationships. She is not committed to her job, although she has spent evenings until after 7pm and weekends getting things in school sorted (displays, assessment etc). And this is on top of being told that her previous years gradings were not upto scratch despite having them moderated and checked by the head.

Now she has been confronted with you must improve on these things or else capability will be envoked and you'll be out on your ear!

This situation appears to be nothing more than an attempt to force £30k off the budget by harassing and bullying a member of staff out of their job.

I would be extremely grateful if people could suggest what my friends next steps might be. Obviously find a new job ASAP would be best but as this is not forthcoming any advice on action to take would be appreciated.

2. I am making this enquiry to the knowledgeable members on behalf of a friend who is reluctant to fight her corner.

Situation: Teacher within a village school would like to further their career with a TLR post. Having indicated this to the head teacher she is informed that this is not possible within the school. Teacher then starts the process of searching out and applying for appropriate vacancies with the heads approval.

School year starts and the village school becomes an academy. Teacher has made a number of applications and has some interviews without success. Meanwhile she is covering maternity in a class for the 1st half term.

Half term comes and goes and original class teacher returns from maternity part time, so now my friend has to settle for working 2 days per week in one class and covering 2 other teachers PPA and other what I would call 'TA' style duties.

She does as instructed without argument and performs her duties to her usual standard. Then comes the performance review meeting. At this meeting she is told that she is not working as part of the team and needs to work on her relationships. She is not committed to her job, although she has spent evenings until after 7pm and weekends getting things in school sorted (displays, assessment etc). And this is on top of being told that her previous years gradings were not upto scratch despite having them moderated and checked by the head.

Now she has been confronted with you must improve on these things or else capability will be envoked and you'll be out on your ear!

This situation appears to be nothing more than an attempt to force £30k off the budget by harassing and bullying a member of staff out of their job.

I would be extremely grateful if people could suggest what my friends next steps might be. Obviously find a new job ASAP would be best but as this is not forthcoming any advice on action to take would be appreciated.

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Oh, the joys of working in an academy! Sorry, that sounds jaded, but having worked in an academy, if I can help it, I would never work in one again! However, the situation for your friend sadly may the same if it had not become an academy... it sounds like that your friend has worked her butt off but is not getting any reward... and now the head feels threatened cause she knows how good your friend is and how she would be very good in a TLR position, so therefore, is resorting to classic bullying techniques. A19pb has written a lot on this sort of thing - worth reading! Did she pass her previous PM reviews? If so, does she have copies? If not, get them! Does she have clear PM targets for this year, with how the school is going to help her reach them? She must begin to collect evidence now of any previous meetings, emails etc that has praised/criticised her work and any correspondence where she has raised issues. She also needs to collect evidence of any other reports e.g lesson observations, OFSTED inspections etc where she has been graded. She also needs to talk to her union asap! Good luck! She is very lucky to have such a caring friend! xx

4. Thanks for the reply. We talked about previous reviews and she had no previous concerns so that's what makes this even more concerning. The targets have been laid out but they seem totally unfair based on her ability and on the fact she has no class in which to achieve them! The union rep she has contacted seems to not be all that interested in intervening either. She has just said, more or less, 'hmmm that is a tough situation for you'. Not exactly stellar advice! I'll have a look on the forum at the posts you mentioned.

5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Seek union advice at regional level xx