1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being Famous

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SamRWebber, Dec 8, 2016.

1. SamRWebber

SamRWebber New commenter

Hi all. I am teaching unit to a Year 1 group about being famous. Ideally I'd like them to look at the differences about being famous in the past vs. being famous during the present day. I need a suitable picture book to help spark some discussion around this. Any suggestions or other advice is very welcome. Many thanks

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Is this unit about ' fame ' or achievement? Just curious to know the thinking behind it

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What angle are you hoping to take on it? People are famous for all sorts of reasons, both now and in the past: entertainers, inventors, explorers, pioneers, royalty, musicians, authors, artists, etc.

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

What are your objectives?
    Focus on objectives not activities.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW! That's a really hard concept for year 1 to get their head around.

Who in the past are you thinking of looking at? Are they people year 1 will know enough about to make this comparison?
    Who is famous today, that year 1 know about? Do year 1 even know what being famous actually entails?

minnie me likes this.
  6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

In my experience of year 1 they really don't have any real idea about what being famous is. I would ask them to look around at home and bring in a picture of someone they think of as 'famous'. Then weep at the death of culture in the 21st century.

7. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

I did a teaching block in RE years ago on superheros starting with Jesus then other important religious figures linked to Year 1 understanding of fame (for having some special power or attraction). In my opinion the OPs focus is more relating to social media and how fame is generated now than in the past - not sure this is a Y1 topic though.