1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being Driven Insane

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tafawke, Mar 25, 2012.

1. I am renting and I've already emailed the agency that looks after this property about this...
    The smoke detector which is main wired (but has a tamper free - read inaccessible - rechargeable battery) is beeping.. and beeping... every 40 seconds... It has been doing this intermittently but really annoying me today. There is nothing I can do as it cannot be opened nor can the battery be replaced... The rechargeable battery appears to be dead and not able to hold a charge so keeps beeping... Given that I am still waiting for the last lot of repairs I reported needing doing I certainly hope they fix this in a hurry before I break it. (the online instructions say that a registered electrician is required to fix/replace it). Arrgghhh

2. I sympathise, we had this for a couple of weeks once, I was close to leaving home! I think you really have to make a big deal of it, can you get it classed as an emergency repair? Say it is making your home inhabitable. If you just say it is beeping, it does nothing to convey the level of disruption it imposes on your life.

3. This is my second weekend of it... it wakes me up way too early and it is making it impossible to do my MA assignment... plus I had a skype interview this morning - that was fun with it chirping in the back ground... I'll be telling them alright!!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Dial 999 tell them the alarm is going off! When they get there tell them that the landlord had not eplained to you what the alrms sounds like so you paniced! The landlord may also come round to see what is happeneing!

5. I had a similar problem. The local fire brigade offered a smoke detector checking service and I got them out.
    Having said that I have no idea how the problem got resolved. I'm sure I'll remember tomorrow morning in the shower.

6. Can you not sound proof it in some way or disconnect the speaker ?

7. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Thats spooky. I am having exactly the same problem with my mains operated smoke alarm.However mine is intermittent , but I also am wondering what to do and who to call, I own my property .

8. Sssshhhhh I think it has gone to sleep, it's been quiet for a while now... I don't want to wake it up... I expect it to start up again in a few hours or sometime in the early hours of the morning...

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

*beep* *beep* *beep*

10. Nooooooooooooooooo

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We had a lot of trouble with the mains powered smoke alarms in our old house. My husband ended up taking them all down. I would never have them again!