1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being deliberately undermined

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rainy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. by a member of middle management and don't know how to sort him.

He his pushing his own 'friends' in front of me for jobs. I am being patronised and treated like dirt. I am now being told that I am doing 'reading' wrong with my group. Yet in view of other colleagues he's sickly sweet. I am not going to be bolshy and at the moment that is annoying him and he's trying to push me.

What should I be writing down and how should I record it?

2. When recording keep to absolute literal truth with no speculations, assumptions or judgements.

3. I would perhaps pander to him for now and ask what it is exactly you are "doing wrong" with reading? It may be that he has a different opinion or a valid argument on how to teach things effectively?!

If you are going to record evidence then write down the instances of your conversations, but as previously stated, this needs to be kept as much to what was actually said, and not about how it made you feel etc.

I guess this may be something you have already considered, but perhaps consider speaking to the HT and "expressing concern" over the way that this member of staff is acting towards you. In an ideal world, the head may have a word with him and it may be end of situation. If your HT is a good one, he will at least keep an eye out for you and express some concern that you are feeling this way and aim to support you.

Best of luck!

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

If someone says you are doing it 'wrong' or 'not good enough', always express enthusiasm to improve. Along the lines of "Can I come and watch you teach, so I can fifnd out what I need to do? What day would suit you?" Or "There is a course which would help me, can I book a supply?" Or "Can I observe Ms Suckadick, who knows exactly what to do? Can I book a supply?" The very thought that your inadequacy might hit the budget in any way will quickly render you competent.

5. Thanks every one. I am being enthusiastic that's what's annoying him. I have been observed and told I am doing the group correctly.

He's also dropped clangers with other teachers. I can't say what for obvious reasons. However, he seems to be making a bee line for me. SMT not interested as they're all friends.

6. Quality post! [​IMG]