1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being compared to previous teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Trapin1, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

This isn't a major problem, but I'm curious to know how other teachers feel and respond when their class compare them with previous teachers.
    I took over my year 5/6 class in January and know that their previous teacher had lost interest in her class and the school for a long time before her departure. Consequently they watched a lot of dvds and didn't do an awful lot of work. With SATs looming of course, I am working them very hard and am occasionally getting the backlash that 'Miss X didn't do this' and 'Miss X used to let us do this and that etc'. Fortunately, I do have a pretty good rapport with the class and with a combination of explaining the need to work hard and that I'm not Miss X and I'm the teacher now, they do knuckle down. What I'd really like to do is tell them that Miss X wasn't doing her job properly but know that would be unprofessional. I'd be lying, however, if I said being compared unfavourably didn't get to me. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Not as you have but I cover classes as my job and I did supply before so I'm used to Mr./Mrs/Miss does xyz.
    You have to accept that some of your children will pine for the days of DVDs and not much work. However, you've explained to the class why this can't continue and they see to have accepted it. I'd just get on and do the best you can with them.
    Are you a relatively inexperienced teacher? Hope this question doesn't seem rude but I ask because I've been teaching for many years and over time you do accept that you're not going to keep everyone happy all of the time. Comments that might have upset me when I was in my first or second year of teaching are water off a duck's back now.
    Sounds like you're doing a really good job of refocusing these children on their learning so keep believing in yourself and best of luck.

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

"Ah well, while I'm here you do it my way." I used to say that a lot when I was on supply! They all try it on for an easier life - wouldn't you? Alan Ahlberg wrote a poem about it in Please Mrs Butler (is it called the supply teacher?), you're in very good company!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh yes! However my class's teacher from last year is still in the school and still teaching the year below. I am determined NOT to take on her class again next near! Drives me nuts. Like you I want to say 'But Mrs X was a rubbish teacher and most of you spent much of the time in my classroom because you had been sent out, or in a year 2 classroom because you were being 'bullied'! How can you possibly say you LIKED it in her class? HOW?

But yes, professionalism stops me saying anything at all...(and yes I still end up with many of her class from this year in my room as well!)