1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being charged £10 for being 1p short........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ssnsmudge, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Money is tight with me at the moment (as with everyone else I suppose). I am unemployed and keep a careful eye on my spending. I even walk everywhere to save money that I would have spent on bus fares,
    I keep a careful eye on my online Bank Account, and I knew that £19.99 was due to be taken by direct debit on the 17th January by AOL for my internet access. I had £21.41 left in my account and thought I was OK.
    I was wrong, and it has increased to £21.42 probably because of the increase in VAT. So I was 1p short. My bank (The Halifax) refused the payment, and have written to me today to tell me that they will be taking £10 from my account on the 1st February. as n unpaid item fee.
    I dont know whether to laugh or cry..............[​IMG]

2. Money is tight with me at the moment (as with everyone else I suppose). I am unemployed and keep a careful eye on my spending. I even walk everywhere to save money that I would have spent on bus fares,
    I keep a careful eye on my online Bank Account, and I knew that £19.99 was due to be taken by direct debit on the 17th January by AOL for my internet access. I had £21.41 left in my account and thought I was OK.
    I was wrong, and it has increased to £21.42 probably because of the increase in VAT. So I was 1p short. My bank (The Halifax) refused the payment, and have written to me today to tell me that they will be taking £10 from my account on the 1st February. as n unpaid item fee.
    I dont know whether to laugh or cry..............[​IMG]

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

4. Quite.

5. ssnsmudge - apparently that's not as much as some banks would take from you, but if you don't like the bank you're with you could switch banks? Smile is very good, and they don't charge £1 a day for overdrafts...

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Smudge, you'll probably find that your letter was a computer generated one. If you call the bank and explain the problem and the reason for the slight miscalculation (likely linked to VAT increase) they may refund the £10 as a good will gesture. In fact, my bank once sent me a letter telling me they were refunding a charge due to the fact that I normally keep my account in good order. I was quite impressed that I didn't even have to ring them.

7. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

This happened (very, vey similar) to me once. I phoned my bank (Nationwide who charged £25 at the time - they now charge £15) and they looked at my history and as it hadn't happened before they waived the charge. Sadly it has happened since, so no more waiving for me [​IMG]

8. Oh, how annoying! I've been through similar myself - you take so much care to make sure that you have sufficient funds (and God knows that isn't always easy!) and then some glitch which you had no way of predicting, puts you overdrawn!
    If it is a 'first offence' then the bank may be prepared to waive the fee.
    £10 isn't that bad for a fee actually - although it's £10 more than you want to pay! Lloyds charged me quite a bit more than that - which is why I left them as soon as my overdraft was clear!
    Don't cry just yet - see if the banl is prepared to be reasonable. If they are then you can sigh with relief and smile! If they're not then explain that you will pay this once and then start looking for a more customer-friendly bank!

9. Hopefully they will waive the fee this time as its my first offence. I only have 2 direct debits, one for AOL, and one to pay my TV Licence every quarter. Fingers crossed..............xxxxxx

10. I've had charges waived by the Halifax when my old LEA screwed up paying me - I wrote explaining and apologising for the circumstances surrounding it, and they wrote back saying basically we understand, here we've withdrawn the charges.

11. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

The VAT increase should have resulted in a 2.1% increase, not a 7.1% increase. Query the DD amount

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Think of it as a charitable donation to some poor struggling banker who's had their bonus cut this year.