1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Being assaulted as a supply teacher...help!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by senaux.22, Jul 10, 2019.

  1. senaux.22

    senaux.22 New commenter

    Hi all. Desperate for some clarification here and hoping you can all help. I've worked for the same supply agency for the last two years, usually in long term posts. Been in current position for the last academic year, teaching 2:1 on a bespoke package for a student with complex needs, through the Local Authority, not in a school setting. Said student, from day one, has spat and smeared, as well as violent incidents and there has been a transfer of bodily fluids between yp and myself/TA.
    Every incident has been documented, of which there have been hundreds.
    The supply agency are saying it has nothing to do with them, they don't provide Occ Health and if I had a concern we should go to the GP. Have done so, GP says it needs to go through Occ health as is a workplace injury.
    Agency is quite defensive, asking 'what do you want; testing?'
    I feel a bit let down by them morally as they have made quite a stack of money off me over the last two years, but don't know what to do moving forward.
  2. historygrump

    historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

    Senaux, I would firstly sign up with other agencies, because it is obviously this one does not care about the safety of its teachers and TA's. In respect to the student, I presume it is in a home setting and as such you should have somebody who is your line manager, either in the local PRU or in the local authority who as a legal duty of care for both your and the TA's safety. This person as a legal duty to look at the options in respect to the student and the safety of the staff, I would speak to them personally and see what options they have in place, I would also speak to your local union rep to see how they can help. I know the money is essential for everyday survival, but so is the physical and mental well-being of yourself and the TA. So I would speak to the union and your LA line manager firstly to see if they can resolve the issues of the anti-social behaviour of the student in question and provide additional support to you and the TA.
  3. les25paul

    les25paul Star commenter

    This is unacceptable and someone is responsible for your safety, although I'm not sure who.

    I would agree with @historygrump and contact your union.
    agathamorse likes this.
  4. nearmiss

    nearmiss Lead commenter

    It is essential that supply teachers continue their union membership. All union branches have a Health and Safety advisor. The school is responsible for the safety of visitors on site and could be liable if they are injured on site.

Share This Page