1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

being asked to do work for another school

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by legoearth, Jan 18, 2012.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

I'll give the basics as I don't want to identify myself. There are three support staff in my class, two permanent and one that changes each year. Had a new teacher last year. Last year teacher kept asking the non permanant one to do lots of copying and laminating. When i say lots i mean at least 300 A4 pouches before Christmas. Assumed it was shiney new stuff for us. It's started on the same scale again this year but I managed to get a look this time at some of the material. None of it is for our class or our year. With budgets they way they are I don't think this seems right. What do you think. Do we help our fellow teachers from other schools?( assume her friend doesn't have support staff to do the work/ but it uses all our resources!!)

2. Not sure from your post why you think the resources are being made for another school. I assume the teacher has a friend in another school and for some reason this has aroused your suspicions.
    If you are certain that you are right then it shouldn't be happening. Not only is she taking a TA away from working with groups of children she is using your schools budget.
    Do you feel able to speak to this teacher and 'innocently' ask what the sheets you 'happened to find' are being used for. If that doesn't stop it you will have to decide whether to take it further.
    At my school you would struggle to find 300 laminating pouches and that amount of laminating would be frowned upon even if it was for the school.
    I am sure your Head would be none too pleased at funding another school. What you do about it is up to you.

3. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Thanks. I KNOW it not ours. The pouches were 'saved up' over years of careful use and wiped out in one term. We had a new lot September,all gone and she has brought more in and the other poor TA has been sent out to do them. I know what I should do. Just wonderd what people thought. I can't do what I should do. Staffing is quite 'closely related'.

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Assuming that you are certain it is for a different school, I think that if it was me, I would find a subtle way of letting someone in the SLT know. Perhaps innocently ask the teacher in front of a member of the SLT if she would like you to arrange shipment of the materials? Otherwise, if a member of the SLT happens to wander past whilst the TA is copying / laminating - say something like "have you seen these resources? Don't they look useful?". Alternatively, innocently ask the teacher what year group they are for - and if she says they are for a certain year in your school - ask one of the teachers in that year what they thought of the resources. Bound to raise questions

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

There are two counts of theft here-the resourses from your school and the lack of a TA employed to help the children.
    What would I do? Hopefully, once I was absolutely sure that the stuff was not for my school, I'd whistle-blow. It doesn't have to be cloak and dagger to protect the 'innocent', a simple rant in the hearing of SLT about no laminating wallets because X has used them all again or a a rant in front of SLT about TA being used to do laminating instead of being with the group.
    Of course you could go for the mysterious-an annonymous letter to HT or SLT giveing names and dates, then hide!!

6. Or you could decide not to tittle-tattle and trust the teacher to make a professional judgement. Just a thought...

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

and if the teacher is abusing that trust?

8. You could take `abusing trust' to the nth degree, Would taking a school pen home amount to abuse of trust? Really TAs need to lighten up. It's only a few laminating pouches for crying out loud. But in my experience they like to have their noses in everyone elses' business.

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Taking 300 of them on one term would be, yes.
    "few" = 300?

10. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Good grief. Lamenting about laminating is laborious.

11. Sorry you have had a bad experience but in my experience being someone who has 'their nose in everyones business' is no respecter of rank. Schools in my experience are a hot bed of gossip and meddling from Heads to TA and inbetween. Some people are simply interfering and that isn't dependent upon how much you earn but on your personality.
    and 300 laminating sheets is not a piffling amount. It would take hours to laminate that lot, time that could be spent working with children who need extra support in the classroom.

12. Last year I worked in two different schools with classes at the same stage and actually happening to be covering the same maths areas. I did in this case use a worksheet I'd copied in one school in the other -but I always made sure to photocopy it x number of times in the school I'd be using it in (unless I happened to have a couple spare).
    I would see this as reasonable use of resources. I would not however have taken books from one to the other or photocopied resources in one school to use at the other. The difficulty really is what your relationship with this teacher is. If I was laminating all of these things I'd be surprised no-one had said anything! I was given a quiet talking to for printing out some colour mosaics children had made -excessive laminating wouldn't've passed without a comment.
    I would try speaking to them first and then if you got a negative response then would have to pass it up to someone else. Horrid to have to though.