1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being asked as an online teacher/tutor to do dyslexia assessment?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Happyregardless, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Hi, sorry if this is similar to a post in 'tutors' but just need some advice re SEND.

I am a primary supply teacher, currently working online during Covid-19 on a private basis.

One parent has asked me about possibly testing for Dyslexia (which should have been done aged 5-6 ideally) and the pupil is now Year 6 age. They will be going to secondary school in September, well, if things progress as the new normal etc Just from my experience with the pupil, it doesn't seem like they have an issue with Dyslexia, although they do someties read a couple of words ahead and then back to previous words, but self correct well and really not markedly different to a 'usual' year 6 child's reading. Parent has expressed concerns about dyslexia and aural memory and as they know I have experience of teaching SEND children and wondered if I could do a Dyslexia assessment. Although I have experience as a class teacher with working with SEND, I am not a qualified SENCO. I'm also not a Dyslexia Assessor or anything like that.

Someone has already pointed out in Tutors forum that Parents usually fund dyslexia assessments themselves as theire's a vicious circle of funding/not funding in primary schools, but added that the secondary school may offer support.

I have suggested looking at the British Dyslexia Association site that offers a variety of resources/tests etc and have asked them to check with the pupil's secondary school etc in September, but is there more I should be/could be doing as a tutor to help this pupil? I didn't want to step on schools' toes or any other advice or guidance that may have been given to this family in the past, but would like to know if there's anything else I can advise or guide them to?

thanks

2. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Nope, nothing you can do which you have not already done. In my opinion a teacher opinion on a child's literacy is also extremely significant, and so it sounds as if there is little need for parents to spends upwards of 300 unless they have ulterior motives.

Ideal age for testing is around age 7, as a lot of the natural variation in language and motor skills start to even out around then. We also have an issue in the UK that our drive to teach handwriting before age 7 tends to increase rates of poor literacy because children aged 5 are nowhere near neurologically ready to develop the skills. Countries such as Finland and India start teaching English later and achieve 90% accuracy before our own children who started at age 5!

pittrivers likes this.