1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being a year group leader at a junior school during your NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Vanadesse, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

There's a job that has come up that seems pretty much perfect for me in terms of the type of school and the location etc. Only thing is that whilst it's a KS2 teaching post, because it's in a junior school there are also year group leaders and the position includes that additional responsibility. I've contacted the school and they've said that they would consider applications from NQTs who put forward a strong application rather than just seeking an experienced teacher. However, my question is, is taking on a year group leader role too much during your NQT year?

2. Sorry, felt I had to reply. Ask yourself if you can really lead a year group when you have barely qualified... How can you manage NQT stuff on top of year leader stuff? My year leader does a lot and he has been teaching for 10 years - really knows his stuff! I can't imagine being managed by an NQT who has been qualified for less time than me...
    Also read this post: Deputy head of department in my NQT year? https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/560640/7340726.aspx#7340726

3. Yes. And I wouldn't want to work at a school which would seriously consider appointing and NQT to the role, sorry.
    I lead upper KS2, have been teaching 10 years and still find that there is stuff I don't know. I cannot imagine doing even a passable job in my NQT year.
    Please concentrate on become a good teacher first. As a leader you'll be expected to advise others on how to teach well. Can you honestly say that you could observe and advise a team member who'd been teaching 10 or 15 years on how to improve? Do you know how to plan and organise a trip from start to finish? Could you make curriculum decisions confidently? Deal with stroppy parents, liaise with parents whose children have SEN, or have issues at home which require outside agency involvement? And do all of this on top of passing your NQT year and meeting all the standards? How would you feel, as a NQT, arriving in a school to be told that your mentor was also an NQT? Just a few things to ponder.
    Please think carefully about applying for and accepting such a role.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do you want the responsibility not just for your own performance, but that of your colleagues as well? What if one of them was under-performing, what would you do? What if children in a different class were not making progress, what would you do? What if that teacher didn't see the problem? What if they didn't really care? How would you liaise with them and with SLT as well as answer to governors?

I have just these headaches and responsibilities and spend half my life asking for help and support to manage the emotional nightmare as much as a practical. I've been a teacher for a zillion years, I cannot imagine an NQT being able to manage all this as well as their own developmental needs.

And you might say "But this is a really good school and the teachers in the year group are really good." But people leave and others arrive...

5. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

To be honest, I completely agree with everything that you've all just said. I originally emailed, and posted here, having not really thought about what it said, just thinking that it was teaching plus a form tutor tutor type role, not literally leading the entire year group including the form tutors. Obviously I was half asleep and not quite paying full attention but it was only when I got their reply and had a look again that I realised that I probably had misunderstood and that surely that's not an NQT job but then wondered if maybe they don't do quite as much as I had assumed as I've only ever worked in a primary school, never a junior school, so never seen year group leaders at work. Having thought more about it and read your replies, I think it's definitely too much to take on for my NQT year so won't be applying. If it had been the form tutor type role then I would have considered it still but I most definitely don't want to lead an entire year group and it's form tutors!

6. I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and disagree.
    First, though, I would state that it is a possibility that when the reply stated NQTs would be considered, it possibily means that you would be considered only for the teaching role and somebody else would be offered the leadership job.
    Some of the responses here I find unnecessarily negative (e.g. I wouldn't wish to work in such a school). Some people forget that NQs often have experience in management in other fields before going in to education. Some have other, non-teaching, experiences in education. I think some forget that the last two words of NQT are Qualified Teacher.
    I certainly think experience in the classroom is a positive thing and there is no replacement for this, but it does not mean that somebody fairly new to a teaching career would not be suitable for a leadership job. I know of a teacher who has been acting SLT in their NQT year (albeit acting), and another promoted to Assistant Headteacher partway through the year following their NQ. Both were exceptional in their roles as they could offer something from previous experience that no other member of staff could.
    If you are a qualified teacher you already have significant classroom experience, probably in a variety of schools. If the school has said they would welcome your application you can't loose anything by applying, if you decide it might not be for you then that also might be the best thing for you. Either way it is great you bothered to take the initiative to approach the school.

7. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

You can apply, but I'm not sure how you would lead others in their performance when you have no experience of teaching yourself, yet.

8. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Just to say that though I will be an NQT, that doesn't mean that I don't have experience of managing people or teaching. I have experience of both. My teaching has just been outside of the UK or within the UK but in a different setting. And I've managed people, both within a school and out. My biggest concern though was more whether it was manageable during an NQT year. I know that if I was given additional responsibility like that in my training, I'd find it difficult to balance the workload and having any kind of life, it was just whether it would be too much for my NQT year as well. But to be honest, I have no real interest in being a head of year during my NQT year, I have enough to focus on already I think. If it had been a form tutor role like I had first thought then I would have considered it but not a head of year. Though I have experience, I don't think that people would respond too well to an NQT taking on that role. I don't think that if I was a teacher who had been qualified for 5, 10, 20 years, that I'd want an NQT coming straight in and bossing me around so I can understand the view points given here.

9. The expectation during trhe NQT year is that you should not have additional responsibilities. There is nothing to say that you cannot do the role, but you would need some experience of leading teams ofpeople. If the school wanted to give you the post they would have to additionally ensure that you had the proper training and supp0ort for this role in addition to the support needed for you as a NQT. I suspect a school would consider this to be too much for them - it would be costly and stretch their resources.
    It is better to complete induction and gain experience before jumping into additional responsibilities.
    The Sage