1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being a Primary Teacher...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tafa, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Hi all! I am an NQT who completed my PGCE last year in secondary education. Having not secured a teaching position for september last year I decided to take a job as a TA in an independant school. Although it was not the ideal choice career wise it has been a great experience as the head teacher, knowing I am teacher trained, has given me the opportunity to teach classes (usually covering illnesses/outings) which has been great and I have since taught all age ranges (EYFS-Yr 9) in the school during my time there.
    My contract expires at the end of this summer term as a TA and I have been offerered the opportunity to stay on next year as a year 5/6 teacher and complete my NQT year. I see this as an amazing opportunity as I have always wanted to teach primary.
    I am confident in my teaching ability as I have already been able to build strong relations with the students and have already taught them on occasions this year, however I would like to get to grips with being a primary school teacher as I have never done this!
    Does anyone have any advice, words of wisdom or things I that need to know about being a primary school teacher so that I am as well prepared as I can be come september. Also any good books to read would be much appriciated!

Many Thanks
    Tafa

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The great thing about Primary is that one gets to teach all subjects and see children's abilities right across the spectrum.
    Try to get hold of your school curriculum for the present Y5/6 which will give you a starting point & ask other teachers how to go about planning your week. You'll need to factor in Geog/Hist / Sci./ PE / Games / DT /MFL etc as well as English & Maths. Many schools now do this through 'Topics', but see if that's the way your school does.
    Best of luck!