1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being a new PGCE student on placement

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by 1mm1grate, Oct 5, 2018.

1. 1mm1grate

1mm1grate New commenter

Hi I have just started my placement in a school and i feel like my mentor doesnt like to include me at break and lunchtimes. she seems to be pushing me away from the department its like she cant stand the sight of me. I have told the ITE co-ordinator and hooray i got my lap top this morning but to be honest they all scare me. There are a few that take an interest and discuss things a bit in observations but if feel like my mentor cant be bothered. Im not in many of her lessons next week but i am in other classes and i find some of them intimidatng. Help im scared!

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Keep a diary of all that is said to you and remember that there are no such things as informal meetings in a workplace. Other than that, keep your nose to the grindstone and do not worry about personal relationships. You are there to build your career and not to make friends.

Good luck.

3. crocked

crocked New commenter

On a different note it's best to keep your identity as concealed as possible so if that's your picture I'd choose another one. It may come back to bite you if these individuals use these boards.

curl88 likes this.
  4. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

Throughout my final PGCE school placement the classteacher insisted on taking the register - even on days when I would then take the whole class for the rest of the day (this was primary). My uni tutor told me that this was what she always did with students; it was her way of showing who was in charge and I shouldn't worry. But it did mean that I felt a bit like a spare part until she had finished and handed the class over to me.
    Subsequently when I had student teachers I had them take the register early on as it's a visible way of presenting them as a teacher to the class.

blueskydreaming and PGCE_tutor like this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

she is probably just very busy, are there other students in the school? It might be helpful to spend your lunch times with them - you might be able to support each other

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or get down to the staffroom and interact with the other staff. On my first placement I joined the staffroom card school.

Alice K likes this.
  7. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

Not sure what you mean about your mentor not being by your side.
    I teach in the Scottish system and our probationer teachers are given a lighter timetable than experienced staff. They have more than a day outwith class to allow for courses, preparation and time to observe other experienced teachers.

Most of the probationers seem to support one another as they are going through their year though they may be placed in different schools. Do you know anyone who is in the same position as you either in your school or around your area?

They join the rest of the staff as normal, during breaks, lunches and after the children go home. They also have a mentor who guides and assists them throughout their initial year.

However, most mentors have other duties and usually a teaching commitment.They are there to support but it is also important for a probationer teacher to interact with the rest of the staff. Some staff may be willing to discuss observations, lesson strategies and techniques but others will not depending on their pressures and perhaps individual natures.

Make an effort to get to know a few people on the staff and you will feel more part of it. Ask them about their interests and tell them about yourself.

Most importantly,prepare well for any classes you are going to encounter or lessons you are going to deliver. Appear confident even when you are not sure of yourself. Children can smell fear! Best of luck and remember we have all been there. It gets better.

install likes this.