1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being a Head and a SENCO

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by emkay74, May 25, 2019.

1. emkay74

emkay74 New commenter

I am interested to find out if anyone else is a headteacher and a SENCO in their school. I am being asked to step up into a Head of School role, which has it's own set of questions for me, but as the current SENCO with no wish to let go of this work and no obvious existing candidate to take it on, the suggestion is that I would continue to be SENCO as well as HoS. Any thoughts? One of my first questions is, what might happen if we need to consider excluding a pupil? We've had no exclusions other than short, internal ones for two years but it's always a possibility and it has worked well thus far having SENCO separate from HT to provide both challenge and support. There are probably lots of other implications... I would be really grateful for any advice.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I do both. I have excluded children, both with and without special needs. If an action merits exclusion then that's what you do. The SENCO role doesn't overrule the needs of the rest of the school, it just gives you a wider perspective.

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

How many EHCPs are you managing?

4. emkay74

emkay74 New commenter

Just 5 - going up to 7 in September if everything gets finalised that is in the pipeline. It’s a small school.

5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I've done it. Perfectly manageable and since you won't have a class, you won't have any problems.

Marshall likes this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

You really need to organise and dedicate your time otherwise the SENCo role could take over.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The Head is also the SENCO in lots of small schools, its not uncommon and can be a positive!

8. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I think it would be difficult to keep up with the Senco paperwork and ring fence the time for that role. If you are Head of School you will also have an Executive Headteacher to pass on decisions such as exclusions.

9. emkay74

emkay74 New commenter

Thank you everyone!

Carrie V - what, in particular, are the positives you’ve observed?