1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Being a bit dumb - working out your wages: How?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Sorry to sound a bit dumb but accounts were never my strong point - I need to fill out a job application and it's asking my current salary. I thought it was £34000 and something but looking at my wage slip, my total payments before deductions times by 12 is £36000 and something. Have I worked it out right?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Isn't your "top line" in the top line of your payslip? Mine is.
    However, have you had a pay increase within the last year? That would make multiplying one payslip's amount by twelve wrong.
    If I don't have a payslip to hand, and can't remember my salary I can look it up in my union diary (top of maingrade scale) or on one of several websites.

3. The trouble is I am on a TLR point too and nothing anywhere tells you exactly what that is. I asked the Head's PA and all she could tell me was I am on M5 plus TLR2b plus fringe allowance. The only pay increase I've had in the last 12 months has been like a couple of quid due to tax variations.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

M5 is a fixed sum, as is the London fringe allowance, but your TLR can be a moveable feast. Doesn't your school provide you with an annual pay assessment/statement that shows you the amount of each pay element?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

6. I think I have found the issue. I just multiplied my gross pay (not inc TLR) by 12 and it shows me the M6 amount inc fringe allowance. I had a feeling I was on M6 when the PA e mailed me so will check tomorrow if this is correct.