1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BEIJING!!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by FredGrod, Mar 18, 2012.

1. For momentous laity and wrldtrrvlr,
    Have just interviewed with an olde English school in Beijing, but with family in tow, am really worried about the pollution aspect. Does the location of the school matter?

The site is located in He Ge Zhuang village, just north of the 5th Ring road and to the west of Exit 4 of the Airport Expressway and on Line 15 of the subway with the ???? (Xiang Jiang Bei Lu) stop a mere 500 metres from the School.

Any thoughts?

2. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I'm sorry to say that it doesn't seem to make much of a difference being out towards Shunyi than being in the city. Also, remember, you'll want to go into the city at times. Some days the pollution can be bad but it isn't always. Keep an eye on http://iphone.bjair.info/ to give you more of an idea.

3. thanks cityfree...our problem (i guess it's a problem?) is that our youngest daughter has grown up in Bangkok, and she's an "outdoor" child in many ways...we don't want her to have to stay inside on a daily basis. Sigh...out of the three schools we're still currently considering, two are in China (Beijing and Shanghai) and one is in KL...

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Honestly, I don't think many people stay inside on a daily basis due to the pollution. Many schools will keep children inside for recess on really bad days, but it's not like those are every day, or for weeks at a time. For most people it's really not a major factor and you just learn to accept it (the many decent to beautiful days in between the truly foul days help in that regard).

5. Thanks all...will take it all under consideration and go from there...have to get an offer first, though, right! Wish me luck!

6. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

"momentous laity"...?

The pollution here can be terrible. If you move here expecting anything else you will struggle. Most days are good, some days are gorgeous and the bad bad days are few and far between (but when you have one it is nasty).

We have only had one official "pollution day" in the past few months. The bigger concern in your situation would be the very low temperatures in winter that would limit outdoor activities much more than the pollution from November - March (it just snowed two days ago!).

IF you have any questions feel free to PM me.

MoC