1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behavioural problems for long term supply in English

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by sebedina, Nov 6, 2015.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I just wanted to know that in general, what do Head of Departments do when a long term supply English teacher is meant to be covering and the behaviour is consistently awful.

I have had this problem in a couple of schools, I follow the behaviour policy but it doesn't work and I seem to go around in circles. I have in one or two schools let the head of department know, but when they come to observe it isn't in a supportive capacity.

I have been undermined instead on two occasions that I recall. This upset me a great deal and really knocked my confidence as I working extra-long hours, and taking home all the marking and attending all the meetings etc.

What happens when the behaviour isn't working and you are meant to show good teaching? I have been on behaviour management courses once or twice and I am told to be firm and follow the school policies. However, this often isn't enough. Any suggestions?? I am constantly hearing that it is hard finding English teachers for long term cover. I am not surprised that they are hard to find as my experience has been so horrible so far.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

A good HoD supports their team, regardless of whether they are supply or permanent. If behaviour policies aren't working, then it needs to go higher.

If it doesn't go higher, and you are not supported, then remember you are in the position of walking away. Not all schools - and HoDs - treat supplies like rubbish. Trust me.

never_expect_anything likes this.
  3. madmother

madmother New commenter

As standard practice in my dept we look at who the catalysts for poor behaviour are and then they are removed to work in another class. This might be for just one lesson or for a series of lessons until they understand that this is not acceptable. I have also gone into classes and explained expectations fo behaviour again and insisted that they still behave appropriately whoever is in front of them.
    It's got to be followed up consistently if it's going to work for all. Sometimes it means removing two or three students and spreading them around the dept until they accept they have to behave. If there are further problems then the school's pastoral team need to be involved too, surely?

pepper5 likes this.
  4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

good comments above. Bad behaviour usually occurs in schools where the management team are good at hiding in offices. And yes as supply you can walk. Talk to your agency tell them to find you something else. If you are on standard supply contract you are probably still on about half of your proper pay rate, tell the hOD that if they start going on about expecting you to do the same job as a permanent employee.
    making a list each lesson of those actually misbehaving is a very good place to start, usually it comes down to far fewer than you feel. Then get on the phone to parents. A call just before the weekend is always good for revenge! They ruin your week, you ruin their weekend! Fair deal to me.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Usually, take it to the HoD. If they fail to turn up to a HoD detention or see the relative person, then it should then be addressed to their HoY.

In my school, it was usually 3x yellow card = a classroom detention. If it was 3x yellow cards and 3 being for the same reason, go straight to the HoD, where either myself (HoD) or SL, English would hold a dept. detention from all years.

If they failed to go to the HoD detention, it would be a red card and HoY would get involved. Usually the HoY would have year detentions when the respective HoY would collect the student scheduled for the detention on the 5th period to stay behind at school. If the HoY was teaching or unavailable the Ast HoY or SLT would come and collect the student instead.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

So many good ideas and suggestions here.

To the original poster, I would add that you might like to alsomread Taking Care of Behaviour by Paul Did which I found extremely helpful since it gives many strategies that work.