1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behavioural/emotional issues

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by dc88, Mar 28, 2012.

1. That kids needs his mum.

2. Would it be possible to suggest tutoring each child separately for some of the sessions? (either half sessions or a full session each - or alternate weeks?) Maybe the nanny could give the other one some solo attention too... is there a nearby park they could go to - if you are OK with being alone in your house with the other one.
    Even if they were closer in ability level, it is good for them to have some 1-2-1 attention - most twins really appreciate that!
    Hope this helps
    Liz

3. I structure my lessons so that each child receives one to one tuition during the session. For example, one might work on the computer while I introduce a topic to another student. Although they enjoy working as part of a group, I do think it's important that part of the lesson is one to one. On another note, maybe you could introduce some games into your lessons? This often diffuses stressful situations and relaxes the student. After a few minutes playing the game you can then move on and use e.g. The adverbs you were playing a game with in creative writing. I also play a game with my students at the end of each lesson -it's very motivating for them. Please feel free to send me a message if you would like some game suggestions.

4. DustinFox

DustinFox New commenter

I agree with everything here except that I think it would be most unwise to be left alone with the twin causing the problem or perhaps even the other one. There is no way that you should be accepting personal abuse even in return for being paid for tutoring three times a week. Perhaps you should agree with the mother/parent that a voice recorder be used to provide evidnece for them (and for the child to hear his own abuse). I know that this might seem a bit extreme (although I did it once with an Asperger's child with agreement of parent and child) but you really need further discussion with the parents. Sadly there may be more in this child's life that is causing the problem than either fear of not doing as well as the other twin or your tutoring.