1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Behavioural Assistant

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Tom_Bennett, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi C
    Well, in my classes I don't have a lot of ice-breakers or getting-to-know-yous because at first I'm all about expressing the rules of the room, and I want them to relate to me as an authority figure.
    But if you're talking about building up relationships with students on a one-to-one basis, then there are a few simple things you can do that break down a few barriers:
    1. Tell them something about yourself; nothing personal that you would like to hear shouted across the playground- just where you;re coming from, why you want to help them, etc, and most importantly, that you want the best for them, and you'll break your back trying to make sure they get it...but that means that sometimes you'll need to be tough as well as kind.
    2. Manners- sounds obvious, but say it's good to meet them, ask them how they are, maybe say something nice about them (like 'I hear you;re good at...x') to surprise them with something positive.
    3. Be genuine, sincere, and assertive. You're an adult, and an authority, so you won't put up with nonsense, but you do care about how they do. If you can communicate those two things then you'll start off miles ahead.
    4. Call the parents/ guardians BEFORE you need to; that way you can introduce yourself and build up a relationship with the home base that might come in handy...
    These aren't particularly focussed activities; do you mean in a counselling session, or a mentor meeting, or your first encounter with EBD kids, etc? If you clarify, I'll be able to be more specific.
    Good luck anyway
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/